SELBY Town finished off their pre-season preparations with a 2-1 home win over Wombwell Main.

Mark Simpson and Brad Freer netted second-half goals to see the Robins past their Step 7 opposition.

Town are set to begin their competitive season in earnest on Saturday with a trip to Litherland REMYCA in the FA Vase first qualifying round.

Wombwell Main may ply their trade in the premier division of the Sheffield & Hallamshire County Senior Football League, but they soon showed they were not to be taken lightly as Dylan Parkin was required to charge out of his area to snuff out an early threat.

Selby soon suffered a blow as Ryan Cooper was forced to leave the field to be replaced by Archie Brown.

Parkin was nearly caught out at his near post by a shot-cum-cross, which he was relieved to divert wide for a corner. Town were not imposing themselves, and there was little of attacking note from them until Jon-Paul Vass cut in from the left with a mazy run before unleashing a shot that crashed against the underside of the crossbar. Wombwell’s goalkeeper Dale Crossland smothered the ball just as Simpson looked to profit from the rebound.

At the other end, the trialist right-back earned himself a deserved round of applause after covering good ground and making a great tackle to put paid to a Wombwell attack on the left side of Selby’s penalty area.

Coming onto the ball from deep, Zeph Thomas could not keep his long-range shot down. Almost immediately, the same player was on the end of a good passing move, bursting into the box, only to see the Wombwell goalkeeper make a fine block at full stretch as the first half ended goalless.

Myles Lawman, Nick Kennedy, and Reuben Pearse replaced the trialist, Thomas, and Archie Brown for the restart.

Immediately, Selby showed more intent. Liam Flanagan was just over with a shot and a Simpson effort was blocked by the ‘keeper. Flanagan forced another save before a driving Vass forced a corner.

Selby's goal arrived on the hour. A ball across the box found Simpson in the clear on the left side of the area. He cut in and drove his shot through the exposed goalkeeper.

Wombwell had the ball in the net, only to be brought back by the offside flag, and Town made them pay in the 74th minute. Wombwell gave the ball away cheaply just outside their area allowing Freer to advance towards the goalkeeper and coolly side-foot into the corner of the net.

If Wombwell had been generous for Selby’s second goal, then it was time to return the favour in the 80th minute. A lazy pass in midfield gave the ball away cheaply and a forward running into the channel was played in, sliding past the stranded Parkin.