TADCASTER Albion’s pre-season campaign ended in defeat after losing 4-1 against Farsley Celtic.

In spite of the loss, Tadcaster will have learned plenty from the clash against their Vanarama National League North opponents, who play two divisions higher than Albion.

The game was preceded by a minute’s celebration of the life of former Tadcaster player Mark Hick, who last week lost his battle against cancer at the age of 44.

Farsley had early chances in the encounter, with goalkeeper Michael Ingham bravely saving Tyler Walton’s close range shot and defender Dan Hartley making a vital interception to a cross into the six-yard box.

Then, ex-Taddy loanee Luke Parkin was foiled by Ingham diving low , while Jimmy Spencer cleared the bar with a 25-yarder.

The Brewers produced their best change on the half hour, when Simon Russell charged through midfield, played a one-two with Thompson which saw Omar Sanyang through on goal but keeper Steven Drench just got to it first.

Farsley made the break through via another ex-Taddy loanee, Tom Allen. He broke out of defence, found Luke Parkin in space in area and he chipped the ball over the defence for the unmarked Allen to convert with a simple header.

Tadcaster came straight back in first-half added time with Bailey Thompson meeting a free kick from Jake Rose but Drench tipped the header over the bar.

Celtic were looking more dangerous after the restart as Dave Syers struck the post from a tight angle.

On the hour mark, Thompson had a chance for the hosts but was fouled in the process, handing Taddy a free kick just outside the box. Derick Ngwana stepped up to curl an unstoppable ball into the corner of the net.

The scores were levelled for only a brief spell when substitute Jake Charles put Ben Atkinson away and although Ingham was just able to partially stop the ferocious shot, the ball dribbled into the corner.

With a quarter of an hour remaining, Atkinson doubled his tally after meeting a Jordan Richards cross and out-jumping the home side’s back line.

On 80 minutes, Parkin had the ball in the net but the whistle had already blown for a foul. Parkin dusted himself down and curled the free kick beyond Burn to make it 4-1.

Tadcaster’s competitive season gets underway on Saturday (3pm) at Guisborough Town in the Emirates FA Cup preliminary round.