YORK City fell to a 3-0 defeat at South Shields in their first pre-season friendly open to the public.

The Minstermen had beaten Newcastle United Under-23s 4-1 on Saturday behind closed doors but were comfortably seen off by Tuesday's North East opposition.

At 0-0, the sides were putting on a good show and some of York's new faces were impressing.

But Scott Barrow conceded a penalty leading up to half-time and, just five minutes after the break, two quickfire goals put the game beyond the dazed City's reach.

York steadied themselves after the salvo but hardly threatened to get back into the game.

Steve Watson’s side took on a very different look to the corresponding fixture last season, with keeper Pete Jameson the only remaining member of that side. Joining him from last season’s squad were Paddy McLaughlin, Sean Newton and Harry Spratt.

Alongside Newton at the back were Robbie Tinkler, Kieran Kennedy and Spratt with a trialist supporting McLaughlin in the centre and new boys Jack Redshaw and Jake Cassidy leading the line.

Myles Boney, Shields’ first signing of the summer, started between the sticks. He made 37 appearances on loan from League One outfit Blackpool last season, earning himself a contract with the Mariners.

In attack was a familiar face for York fans, that of Alex Kempster. The 24-year-old returned to the North East in early August after two-and-a-half years with the Minstermen, and a resurgent 2019/20 campaign in which he scored 10 goals.

On the bench was the well-travelled 24-year-old Dutch defender Wouter Verstraaten, whose teams have included PSV Eindhoven – as a youngster – and the US-based Portland Timbers Under-23s.

Some neat interplay very nearly brought City the opener within minutes of kick off. Harry Bunn’s neat touch and turn near the halfway line set him off for a quick give-and-go with Redshaw before Jake Cassidy’s ball into the middle of the box was deflected clear.

It was a fast-paced opening with some good passing work and some misplaced from both sides, and an entertaining energy all round.

Shields played their part, Nathan Lowe driving over the bar from range, Jason Gilchrist turning well on the edge of the area from an incisive through-ball, and Kempster getting about the pitch as York well know he can.

McLaughlin cracked Boney’s right-hand post with a crisp left-footed strike from just outside the area and Redshaw got off City’s first shot on target, though it was a simple gather for Boney.

Around the midway point of the half, Redshaw had the ball in the net from a tight angle, having read the bounce of the ball best inside the area, but was caught out by the offside flag.

Shields got their noses in front with less than 10 minutes to play before the break. Scott Barrow got in a tangle just inside the edge of the area and brought down Gilchrist. Captain Robert Briggs dispatched the penalty confidently, sending Jameson the wrong way.

York looked as though they had got on top of possession by the half-hour mark, retaining possession well and mopping up the majority of loose balls. However, Shields were never out of it, and though the goal arrived clumsily, it was far from completely against the run of play.

Nathan Lowe doubled the Mariners’ lead just after the restart. He was brought down on the edge of the area by Paddy McLaughlin after picking up a low cross from Kempster. Lowe thumped the free kick in low to Jameson’s left.

Almost straight from kick off, it was three. Lowe this time surging forward from the middle released Gilchrist in the area and he powered in high across Jameson to the keeper’s right.

York’s thoughts were seemingly elsewhere and, but for an unlikely close-range miss from Callum Ross, they should have been four down. With Jameson scrambling back to the square-ball in the six-yard box, the midfielder contrived to drag it wide of the near post.

After raft of substitutions, York steadied the ship and mustered a couple of corners. Before his departure, neat footwork from Harry Bunn freed up some space inside the area to get a soon-blocked shot away.

But with the bit between their teeth and the crowd on their side, there was little let-up from Shields. York’s second trialist substitute showed good awareness on the ball, but his chances to impress were limited as the hosts suffocated City and went forward in waves.

With six minutes to go, McLaughlin hit another from range, this time forcing the Shields stopper to tip over smartly.

South Shields: Boney, Hunter, Baxter, Ross, Wade, Agnew, Gillies, Briggs (c), Gilchrist, Lowe, Kempster. Subs: Coombe, Lockey, Turnbull, Thompson, Verstraaten, Jenkins, McCamley, Hodgson, Osei, Mason.

York: Jameson 5, Tinkler 5 (Jebson-King 65, 6), Kennedy 6 (King), Newton 6 (Whitfield 76), Spratt 6, Barrow 5 (Harrison 65, 5), McLaughlin 6, Trialist ‘A’ 4 (Trialist ‘B’ HT, 5), Bunn 6 (King 55, 6), Redshaw 6 (Dyson HT, 5), Cassidy 6 (Trialist ‘C’ 55, 6).

Star man: Paddy McLaughlin. A necessary calming influence in midfield and got off a couple of good efforts.

Goals: South Shields – Gilchrist (36 pen, 50), Lowe (49)