SELBY Town suffered a 6-1 thrashing at the hands of Yorkshire Amateur at the weekend.

The Robins never really got into their stride while their Northern Counties East League premier division visitors showed their class.

Before kick off was a minute’s silence for long-time Robins fan John Collier.

New signing Cameron Collins started at right back, after his appearance as a trialist last Saturday. Jon-Paul Vass returned at left back, allowing Zeph Thomas to return to his central midfield position.

The Ammies were on the front foot straight from kick off,pressing Selby with a slick passing move.

Slick play from the Amateur was starting to look ominous for Town and, sure enough, it was not long before they took the lead. Crisp interplay at the left edge of the Town box left defenders flailing. Ex-Selby man Casey Stewart was instrumental, and found himself clear to square the ball to another ex-Robin, Roy Fogarty, who had the easiest of jobs to slot the ball home.

Town responded quickly. A terrific Liam Flanagan cross-field ball found Mark Simpson charging towards the opposition goal. He checked to wrong-foot a defender before coolly shooting into the corner.

But that was just about as good as it got for Selby. Quicker onto the ball, Ammies dominated midfield, cutting through at will with swift passing.

The expected Yorkshire Amateur goal arrived 10 minutes before half-time. Adam Priestley drove at the right side of Town’s defence, cut inside and fizzed a low ball across the box, met by Stevie Crawford at the far post.

Three minutes later and Fogarty had his second. With chaos in the Selby box, the loose ball fell kindly for Fogarty, who did not need asking twice.

Town had a brief flurry with Thomas getting away a shot at goal but they fell further behind just before the break when Crawford tucked the ball away from a scramble.

Josh Street was soon forced to retire injured, being replaced by Myles Lawman. Brad Freer took up a more forward position.

If Town thought that the second half was going to be better for them, Stewart soon put paid to those hopes. He found himself in acres of space at the edge of the penalty area and he punished Town with a well-deserved goal.

Town tried to rally, as a fine Lawman pass found Simpson. His effort was diverted for a corner which was headed over the bar.

Normal service was resumed as Yorkshire Amateur pressed again, earning themselves a couple of quick-fire corners. It was not long before the pressure told, and again it was Priestley who did the damage. Driving down Selby’s right he fizzed an inviting cross into the box. George Bissett attempted to turn the cross behind but, at full stretch, he only succeeded in finding the corner of his own net.

Brett Lucas, and Archie Brown joined the action in place of Ryan Gothard, and John-Paul Vass.

By this time the scoring had come to an end, and both sides looked like they were going through the motions.

Freer managed a couple of close attempts while Fogarty was denied his hat-trick by a great point-blank Dylan Parkin save.

The Robins have a week to lick their wounds before welcoming Wombwell Main, of The Sheffield and Hallamshire County Senior League Premier Division to the Fairfax Plant Hire Stadium.