TADCASTER Albion marked the return of supporters to Ings Lane with a 5-3 victory over Selby Town.

The win ensured that Tadcaster maintained their unbeaten start to pre-season having previously thrashed Albion Sports 5-0 and drawn 3-3 with Knaresborough Town.

With Covid-19 procedures clearly in place there was almost a happy atmosphere in the ground, with 185 fans (from the 200 capacity amid current restrictions) turning out for the club's first home fixture with a crowd since March.

It was a perfect start for Paul Quinn’s men when, in the second minute, James Ngoe put over a pinpoint cross to which Bailey Thompson rose majestically to head the ball over goalkeeper Dylan Parkin.

It could have been two as Kain Rogerson found Thompson in the box but former Taddy man George Bissett quelled the danger.

Derick Ngwana played a one-two with Thompson but his 20 yarder was inches over the bar, while on 21 minutes Simon Russell, relishing his role in midfield, was a whisker away from doubling Albion’s lead. Selby had their best chance on 24 minutes when a 30-yard free kick was headed wide by a trialist from close range.

The second goal, however, arrived on the half hour when Junayed Cassius-Gill threaded a pass to Ngwana who launched a scorching drive from well outside the box and shot in off the far post

Selby came straight back with their best spell of the game thus far – Brad Freer’s effort was pushed away for a corner by Aaron Burn but when the cross came in, a trialist performed an overhead kick in the six yard area which thumped against the crossbar.

At the other end, Cassius-Gill took the ball wide of Bisset but the low shot was wide while Parkin was down quickly to Rogerson’s low drive.

Shortly before the break, the Robin’s got onto the scoresheet as a free-kick took a deflection and landed in the net. The Tadcaster players appealed for a retake of the spot kick which they suggested had been taken far forward from where the incident took place but to no avail, 2 - 1

Ify Ofoebbu and Omar Sanyang were on for Casius-Gill and Ngwana as the second half got under way but almost immediately The Brewers were pegged back as a trialist found space in the box giving Burn no chance.

Mitch Pattinson’s long ball to Ofoegbu looked like a one on one but the Selby shot-stopper was quickly off his line as the big striker leapt over him to avoid a collision.

Selby took full advantage as the Taddy defence settled and on the hour mark were ahead courtesy of their trialist and good work from Liam Flanagan.

With alarm bells now ringing, the Brewers response was quick and decisive; within a minute Omar Sanyang was on a solo run, gliding into the box and driving a low shot in to the corner of the net.

Within another minute, the hosts were back in front as Ofoegbu collected a loose ball but under pressure slotted it home from a tight angle to make it 4-3.

On 65 minutes, Sanyang was close to a brace but Parkin was equal to the task – another of many fine saves.

Sanyang then got the elusive second goal. Cassius-Gill chipped the ball into the box where Omar resisted the temptation to hit it first time and instead cut it onto his left, making space for a curler into the corner of the net, a quite exquisite finish.