HEWORTH ARLC finally got their National Conference League division three campaign underway with a 50-12 win over Askam at Elmpark Way.

The Villagers had endured two frustrating weeks of postponed matches due to a waterlogged pitch.

Despite totalling 10 tries, it was a patchy performance from the hosts, typical of the opening game of the season - but nevertheless they ultimately proved to possess far too much firepower for the gallant Cumbrian outfit.

It was the visitors, though, who were first on the scoreboard after seven minutes courtesy of an interception try by stand-off Kier Shephard.

Heworth levelled four minutes later when scrum-half Danny Allan, on his return to the club after a four-year absence, nipped over from close range for an unconverted score.

On the quarter-hour mark, home loose-forward Liam Richmond gave them a lead they were never to relinquish after blasting past several defenders on a 60-metre run to the line to touch down close to the posts. Allan added the conversion.

Five minutes later, it was 14-4 after stand-off George Elliott put 16-year-old debutant winger A J Towse over in the right corner for an unconverted try.

On 23 minutes, prop Joe Deighton put the hosts further ahead after barging his way over for another Allan-goaled effort before some slick handling led to centre Gareth Watson crossing wide out on the left flank.

It was all one-way traffic now and, following a strong break by second-rower Fergus Chapman on the half-hour mark, Richmond posted his second touchdown and Allan added the extras to give Heworth an unassailable 30-4 half-time lead.

Any hopes of a comeback by the visitors were soon extinguished four minutes into the second period when Allan notched another try, which he improved himself.

Askam kept plugging away and were rewarded for their efforts after 49 minutes when full-back Bradley Jackson weaved his way past the home defence to score. He also added the conversion, along with a penalty goal immediately afterwards awarded for foul play in the act of scoring.

The Villagers were soon back into their stride, however, and five minutes later another swift passing movement produced a try in the left corner for their second 16-year-old debutant Myles Harrison.

On 55 minutes, Elliott forced his way over directly from acting half-back and Allan goaled to make it 46-12.

With the game in the bag, Heworth seemed to take their foot off the gas, resulting in them losing their shape and squandering a number of chances. It was not until the 72nd minute that Towse showed the visitors defence a clean pair of heels to race 50 metres down the right touchline and cross for his second touchdown to seal a comprehensive victory.

Second-rower Liam Watling took the Villagers' man-of-the-match award, with Richmond and Towse in close contention.

In the premier division, York Acorn lost 34-30 at home to Underbank Rangers, whose Owen Restall scored an agonising 78th-minute try in a high-class encounter.

Touching down for Acorn were Mark Sanderson (2), Tim Stubbs, Josh Thompson (2) and Ryan Gallacher.

Half-back Antony Chilton added three of his five conversions attempts.