YORK & District Schoolboys Under-13s booked their spot in the semi-finals of the West Yorkshire Cup after defeating Barnsley 2-1.

After a number of recent postponed games, both teams were keen to get their season back underway and that was evident with the energy shown in the opening exchanges.

The first 10 minutes set the tone for the rest of the game - end to end football with both teams confident of taking the victory.

York went close with a powerful strike from Lleyton Brown with the Barnsley goalkeeper doing well to push his effort past the post.

Ben Garbutt-Smith was then played through but his shot was again well saved.

On 25 minutes, York got the breakthrough they deserved when Brown finished with a low strike from 10 yards out, giving them the advantage come half-time.

Barnsley raised their game after the restart, forcing a number of corners and utilising their long throws, but York kept them out with a series of headed clearances, tackles and blocks.

They rode their luck, too - a long range effort from Barnsley striking the crossbar and bouncing to safety.

Eventually, the home side's pressure told.

Barnsley worked the ball through midfield and created an opening at the far post which was headed in to make it 1-1.

The setback seemed to spark York into action and they began to force their way back into the game.

On the hour mark, York regained the lead. Garbutt-Smith collected a ball on the halfway line and raced through before beating the advancing keeper with a low, crisp finish.

The final few minutes saw York put under a great deal of pressure but, again, they showed the collective spirit to see out the game and earn a hard-fought victory.

York will host Calderdale for a place in the final later this month.

Meanwhile, York & District Schoolboys U11s won 10-2 away to Rotherham.

Only 10 minutes had been played when Charlie Calderwood struck his first of York's goals, though the home side quickly pegged them back.

But, Calderwood scored his second before Bobby Moore and Oliver Boast quickly turned the game back in York's favour by half-time.

York remained in the ascendancy after the restart, Boast scoring twice and Moore once to further the advantage.

Calderwood then grabbed his hat-trick and a rebounded goal from Ewan Daly quickly followed.

Rotherham did score again but York ensured that they would finish in style.

Ewan Waddington, who had shown steel and tenacity in midfield, was rewarded for his efforts by assisting Boast's fourth goal.