By Gary Mollon

SELBY Town went top of Northern Counties East League division one with an incredible 11-2 home win against bottom side East Hull at the Fairfax Plant Hire Stadium.

The struggling Humberside team have conceded no fewer than 10 goals a couple of times this season, but this was the first time they had conceded 11. Indeed, if overworked goalkeeper Raheem Russlr had not produced a couple of first-class second-half saves, things could have been worse for the visitors.

Town were 7-1 up at half-time break with goals from Casey Stewart, Liam Flanagan, Josh Rogerson, and Sam Cable.

Josh Ward hit a hotly-disputed penalty home, but further goals from Stewart, Flanagan and Josh Walker did more damage in the second half despite a second for Hull from Iuri Braz.

The turnout of 348 was again the highest in both NCEL divisions for the game at a very cold Richard Street and Selby are hopeful of another good gathering on Tuesday night when Town entertain Hallam.

A howling wind blowing across the pitch greeted the players as Town opened strongly with Flanagan heading a Josh Rogerson cross well wide. Cable also headed a cross wide.

Town took the lead on eight minutes when visiting defender Andy Watts was penalised for climbing on Walker in the penalty area and Stewart easily beat Russlr from the spot.

Stewart got his second minutes later when Russlr's kicked clearance fell straight to him and he rifled in.

On 16 minutes it was three when a quick move down the left saw Walker move the ball to Stewart and he flicked the ball through to Flanagan, who had the easy task of drilling the ball home.

After Walker saw a first-time effort somehow cleared off the visiting goalline, Rogerson swept the ball home from six yards when he met a lovely right-wing cross.

Walker saw a shot saved at the second attempt by the goalkeeper and a Rogerson cross shot landed on the roof of the net before town got their fifth through Flanagan. Superb build-up play ended with Flanagan being fed a sumptuous ball from Stewart and he easily beat the keeper.

Dylan Parkin had hardly been troubled in the home goal but Josh Ward just beat him low to his left with a penalty on 35 minutes. Rogerson was sent off for denying a goalscoring opportunity in the penalty area, though home fans felt this was harsh.

Town hit back immediately. The ball fell to Walker on the edge of the area following quick feet from Stewart. His first-time shot was blocked by the keeper but Cable followed up to hit home.

Minutes before the break, the hosts got their seventh. Flanagan's driven shot was pushed away by the keeper but Stewart finished from the loose ball.

As the second half opened Hull scorer Ward found himself in a good place but fired wide. Town then came back immediately and Flanagan hit a cross in that Josh Walker expertly clipped into the net for Town's eighth goal.

Immediately from the restart, Town's defence was caught out and substitute Braz hit home.

The visitors had another chance when David Watts could only prod the ball wide when well placed and they were made to pay minutes later when some superb passing movements ended with Stewart notching his fourth goal via a post.

Within a couple of minutes Flanagan got his third of the game - and 98th of his career for Town - when his 22-yard strike slipped under the diving Russlr.

Town were going for more now. Cable hit an effort wide and substitute Charlie Clamp had a couple of efforts just clearing the cross bar. Russlr denied Clamp and Stewart with good saves but the keeper was relieved to see an audacious Stewart effort from the halfway line went over.

Walker wrapped the scoring up when receiving the ball on the edge of the penalty area and he finished confidently.