YORK City Knights are through to the fifth round of the Coral Challenge Cup after a late Jimmy Keinhorst try secured a 24-22 victory at London Broncos.

York sealed their first competitive win of 2020 in the process after league defeats at Toulouse and Leigh as well as upsetting the bookmakers' odds who had London as heavy favourites.

The Broncos had looked on course for a rout after scoring three tries after just 17 minutes.

But York were in front thanks to three scores late in the first-half and early in the second.

London were back in front by only four as they responded to the Knights’ resurgence, however James Ford’s side managed to conjure one late chance and, in the form of their most high profile close-season signing, they took it.

London raced out of the blocks from the start and found themselves in front with just 45 seconds on the clock.

A couple of plays after Connor Robinson’s kick-off, Rhys Curran made the break through the middle and put the Broncos within striking range.

They took full advantage as Daniel Hindmarsh proved too strong for several surrounding Knights defenders to ground.

York responded by forcing a repeat set in the London 20m but it only concluded in Ben Johnston dropping a Robinson pass.

London immediately made the Knights pay by racing up to the other end of the field and finding the numbers on the left flank to allow Tuoyo Egodo to walk over by the flag after some quick hands form Matty Fozard, Cory Aston and Curran.

The line speed from the Broncos was proving particularly tough for York to handle and on 17 minutes they had their third try.

Like the Hindmarsh score, Aston provided the final pass though this time it was Rhys Curran who crossed, steamrolling over a Knights defender to drive over.

Taking the kicking duties from the missing regular Kieran Dixon, Aston missed all three conversion attempts.

Five minutes later London almost had a fourth try, an effort that would have been the most remarkable of the lot.

Guy Armitage fed Egodo to ease over in the corner again with an unorthodox pass through the legs, though referee Tom Grant ruled it forward.

Positives remained for York who spread the ball in attack far better than they had done a week earlier at Leigh, and arguably better than previously all season.

With two minutes left of the half, the Knights were back in the game. Robinson kicked-and-chased to within 5m of the line, subsequently winning a penalty as Olly Ashall-Bott stole the ball.

That gave York position for Kriss Brining to hit a cut-out pass for James Green to dive onto from close range.

Robinson’s conversion left the visitors trailing by just six points at the break.

York picked up where they left off after the break, scoring twice in the space of six minutes to overturn the deficit.

First, York took advantage of an awarded scrum 10m from the London’s line as Marcus Stock teed up Jordan Baldwinson to stride through a gap next to the sticks.

Then, Robinson exhibited his kicking ability with a 40/20 and, two plays later, Johnston’s short ball allowed Stock to add his name to scoresheet.

Robinson conversions followed each try.

London weren’t rocked by York’s fight back and they reeled off two quick-fire scores to re-establish their advantage.

Eloi Pelissier accelerated by the posts after making cheap metres behind the offside Elliot Wallis, Aston adding the extras.

And the Broncos' speed was evident again as a switch to the left saw Aston play a cut-out pass to Armitage to touch down past Jimmy Keinhorst.

This time Aston’s kick went wide and the hosts had a 22-18 lead.

After the hour mark passed and then the game went into its final ten minutes, the differing full-time and part-time status of the clubs was not evident.

Having seen late surges of points against them from Toulouse and Leigh, York had to contend with London’s game management this time as the Broncos began to kick for touch at the end of sets.

With two minutes left, Johnston ducked under the London line and reached to within 20m before being halted by James Meadows.

York made a quick play-the-ball and found Keinhorst who turned inside and past Meadows on his way to the whitewash.

There was pressure on Robinson’s shoulders as he lined up the kick but he planted it through the middle of the sticks to put York in Monday’s draw.

London: Ashall-Bott, Hodson, Ogden, Armitage, Egodo, Aston, Meadows, Krasniqi, Davis, Battye, Hindmarsh, Curran, Fozard.

Subs: Walters, Norman, Pelissier, Blakemore.

Tries: Hindmarsh (1), Egodo (12), Curran (17), Pelissier (49), Armitage (54). Goals: Aston (1/4)

York: Marsh, Wallis, Keinhorst, Salter, Hey, Johnston, Robinson, Teanby, Jubb, Clarkson, Washbrook, Scott, Spears.

Subs: Brining, Green, Baldwinson, Stock.

Tries: Green (38), Baldwinson (43), Stock (46), Keinhorst (78). Goals: Robinson (4/4)

Referee: Tom Grant

Attendance: Not given

York Man of the Match: Marcus Stock. Finished his try well and assisted York’s second try too.

Penalties: 4-9