YORK moved up to second in the National Futsal League premiership north after easing to a 5-1 home victory over Sheffield FC at the York Sport Arena.

The result sees York move onto 21 points alongside Cambridge United, six points behind division leaders Oxford City, having played one match less than the table-toppers.

It was Sheffield who struck the first blow when, on five minutes, Ben Mortlock took a backwards pass but lost it under good pressure from Daniel Weath who beat goalkeeper Karel Batha.

Six minutes later, York responded when Daniel Pedras' blocked shot was followed by Roly Donoso who emphatically finished from close range high in the Sheffield goal.

There were few attempts at either end as the half progressed, with York dominating the possession and Sheffield content to sit back and only attack from long goal clearances.

With five seconds left of the half, York went in front. Brilliant combination play between Michael Bulmer and Donoso saw the former slot home a parried shot from the latter from an acute angle.

The second half started in much the same way as the first with York’s superior possession producing good chances.

On 25 minutes, a long range effort from Mohamadu Ceesay was well saved and Bulmer hit the post on two occasions - leaving York wondering how they had not extended their lead.

The next goal was always going to be crucial as, although Sheffield were limited to a few half chances the best of which a neat turn and shot from Roal Tusha and free kick blazed just over the bar from Weath, York on four accumulated fouls were running close to gifting the away team a 10 metre penalty.

Deservedly, it was the home team who extended their lead on the half hour mark.

Regaining possession on half way their fast attack paid dividends as Fabinho, Donoso and Pedras all combined before the latter applied the final touch past the keeper from close range to make it 3-1.

Sheffield began chasing the game, opening up more chances for both sides. York capitalised through Nathan Jackson who maintained possession after a strong challenge from Weath and squeezed the ball to Ze Eduardo who coolly volleyed home after a neat one-two with Cessay.

As fatigue began to set in and the game became further stretched it was York who rounded off the victory after a poor Sheffield corner was intercepted by Pedras who found Mychaell da Silva’s perfect run before placing his shot neatly through the stranded keeper’s legs to give the home team a well deserved 5-1 victory.

York Futsal head coach Junior Roberti felt that his side still had plenty more to give, despite the dominant look of the scoreline.

He said: "It’s hard to play against teams like Sheffield who sit back and give you the ball.

"We like to play with speed and pace, but their approach made the game too slow for us.

"We knew this and planned the whole week to play against this and it worked today, but it could have been better.

"We should be responding better to situations like those we faced today, but we got the three points and we managed to discuss how we can improve for the next time we face teams like this."

York Futsal are back in action in the NFL League Cup this Sunday when they host Leicester Futsal Club at the York Sport Arena (4.45pm kick-off).