TADCASTER Albion went back into the Northern Premier League north/west play-off places despite a goalless draw with City of Liverpool.

With Marske United losing at Mossley, the Brewers rose from sixth to fifth, where they have a one-point cushion.

This evening, Tad have a chance to add to that advantage when they play their rearranged fixture with Dunston.

As many weekend games were, the fourth meeting of these two teams this season was affected by the strong wind, and neither side could grumble with a share of the spoils.

A good atmosphere prevailed at the Global Stadium, where a minute’s silence was held to honour Jordan Sinnott, the Matlock Town player who died the previous weekend.

The Brewers were boosted by the first appearance of attacking midfielder Luke Parkin, who joined the club on a month’s loan from Farsley Celtic, and new signing Andy Monkhouse in the starting line-up, with other new faces in Damien Reeves and Ejupi Rinor on the bench.

It was a good opening spell by Albion, with Jake Day controlling a Jack Walters free kick with a chest down and Will Annan driving just wide from the edge of the box. When City did get forward, Ioan Evans was there for a last-ditch interception to foil a one-on-one.

On 10 minutes, Day was fouled as he bullied his way towards the box while Walters curled in a trademark free kick, spilled by keeper Owen Wheeler. As Day and Annan rushed in but it was cleared for a corner.

The Purps' best early opportunity came on 13 minutes when McDonald put in a useful cross but it was inches behind the marauding Nevitt and, as Tadcaster broke, Walters tested Wheeler with a long ball to no avail. At the home end, Michael Ingham clutched a cross safely as the City front men rushed at him.

Adam Porritt put a succession of good crosses into the box, while Parkin’s effort on 29 minutes was instantly blocked.

Nevitt went close on 32 minutes but Day was back helping in defence as he cleared it off the line.

Evans was calmness personified in the back four as City gathered momentum and a well-marshalled wall was enough to stop McEllin’s free kick from just outside the area. Play was stopped for Lebrun Mbeka to receive attention as half-time beckoned but the big man was able to continue.

With Donald Chimalilo and Annan swapping wings, Taddy kept up the pressure and there was another chance on 43 minutes when Monkhouse met Annan’s corner but the header was wide.

The Brewers had edged the first half but not troubled keeper Wheeler unduly while Ingham had also had a relatively quiet game. However, the swirling wind would be against them in the second 45.

On 50 minutes Annan put a defence-splitter through to Chimalilo but the vigilant Wheeler got there first, while Walters' cross-cum-shot from an acute angle landed on the roof of the net.

City had a penalty shout for hand ball waived away by referee Majid Ali and on 52 minutes yet another dangerous Porritt ball into the six-yard box saw Chimalilo fire over.

On the hour, Parkin raced down the left flank but there was nobody there for the cross.

Taddy manager Paul Quinn decided now was the time for fresh legs as Kevin Santos replaced Annan. Both teams were throwing everything forward but with the battering wind, the ball really had a mind of its own.

On 65 minutes Lewis Gilboy was thwarted by Monkhouse but, from the wind-assisted corner, Ingham produced a sensational one-handed save.

Luke Denson slipped through the Taddy defence but there were no front-runners to collect his hard drive across the face of the box.

With the game pretty much end-to-end, Mbeka had a chance on 70 minutes but the ball was too high while Santos followed suit from a good pass out of defence by Jack Vann. Wheeler was quickly down to collect a long free kick as the Taddy front men waited in vain for the spill.

Reeves came on for Day with around 10 minutes left on the clock as the Brewers had their best period of the match. That said, McEllin mis-kicked a through ball from Gilboy when well-placed while Porritt robbed substitute Hall as he looked to cross from close range.

With three minutes of normal time left Chimalilo launched the ball towards the top of the far corner but Wheeler produced an acrobatic one-handed save to keep his team in the game. After a succession of corners, Walters met Parkin’s cross but the header was cleared off the line.

Pickering Town remain five points adrift at the foot of the table following a 2-0 defeat at Colne.

Matty Turnbull turned the ball into his own net after nine minutes from a cross by Billy Hasler-Cregg, who netted the 88th-minute second to seal the points.

This was the Pikes' fourth defeat in six games since Steve Roberts took over as boss.

Ten-man Selby Town suffered their first defeat in six games as they went down 4-2 at Hall Road Rangers.

Lewis Andrew and Dan O'Connor gave the hosts a two-goal lead, while Carl Stewart was sent off for the Robins before half-time.

Andrew netted a second before substitute Sam Cable pulled one back for Selby, but an unfortunate own goal from Marcus Deighton effectively put the seal on it.

There was still time for Cable to net another as third-placed Selby missed the chance to rise another place in Northern Counties East League division one.

Selby play one of their games in hand on Wednesday when they travel to Worsbrough Bridge Athletic.

The only change from last mid-week's 4-1 win at Parkgate was Deighton coming in for Teddy Marris, who was recalled by his parent Club, Alfreton Town.

Before kick off there was a minute’s silence for Jordan Sinnott.

Selby were facing a strong wind in the first half. It was soon obvious that Town were going to struggle.

Selby's defence was struggling to judge clearance headers, and often the ball went past them, meaning they had to turn and chase the attackers.

Hall Road Ranger’s players were generally quicker to knock downs, and loose balls, and won more than their share of 50-50 tackles.

Town’s front three, meanwhile, were stranded.

It did not look likely that Selby would keep the rampant opposition at bay for long, and sure enough Hall Road took the lead from a free kick on the edge of the area.

Just after the half-hour, Hall Road doubled their lead. The ball was worked up Selby’s right, and after the ball was partially cleared, a whipped cross was sent into the middle, to be met by a diving header into the net.

Stewart then took his frustrations out on the assistant referee and was shown a red card.

Deighton pulled off a super save from a one-on-one situation before half-time.

After a good period of Selby pressure following the break, the hosts got a third when Andrew's long-range shot from the right flew past a stranded Deighton.

Selby continued to press and Danny Walker cut in from the left, and put the ball into the middle. Cable turned in for his first goal since his return.

The body blow to Selby arrived with a minute of normal time to go. A ball was played back to Deighton, who made a hash of the clearance and the ball skewed off his foot into the goal.

Selby kept going and Cable beat the goalkeeper with a long-range shot he got hands to but could not keep out. There was time for another Liam Flanagan shot to be deflected wide before the final whistle.