YORK & District Under-13s recovered from last week’s cup defeat with a 4-3 win at previously unbeaten Yorkshire Schoolboys League opponents Sheffield.

A double from Lleyton Brown and singles from Joe Meek and Ben Garbutt-Smith helped put the disappointed of the 7-1 third round ESFA Cup defeat at Hartlepool behind York.

York started the brightest in South Yorkshire, Adi Bajaziti skilfully beating his full-back and firing in a cross from the left that the Sheffield defence did well to clear. The ball broke to Ben Whitehead who picked a clever pass to put Bajaziti again in behind the defence. His ball in was helped on by Garbutt-Smith to Brown, who managed to control and chip the ball into the corner of the net to give his side a 1-0 lead.

On the fifteen minute mark, Garbutt-Smith created the opportunity for York’s second goal. After beating three defenders with his pace and power, his whipped cross was met acrobatically by Meek for a right-footed volley that left the Sheffield keeper with no chance.

Sheffield were stung into action and York had to defend as Sheffield pressed. The hosts reduced the arrears with a swerving, dipping shot from the left found the top corner before equalising on the 25-minute mark when they reacted quickest to a rebound off the bar.

At this point, Sheffield were on top and showing their quality but York showed their resilience to hit back at their hosts. After half an hour, they went back in front, Garbutt-Smith controlling and firing in a neat, low, right-footed strike from outside the box to make it 3-2 at the break.

The second half followed a similar storyline. Sheffield looked confident, putting together a number of good moves. York dug in and defended with strength, the back four of Seb Holowkiewicz, Ben Armitage, Jack Cottam and Billy Hobson controlled, compact and resolute against a mobile, skilful Sheffield attack.

In the midfield areas, Billy Dickinson showed his tenacity and positional awareness to cover the ground and protect the back four while Leo Littlewood scrapped and helped keep possession with his tidy passing.

In an end-to-end half, York took the chance to extend their lead through Brown. He showed his class by dribbling though the centre of the Sheffield defence, committing the keeper and finishing coolly with his right foot into the bottom corner.

But Sheffield were always dangerous and put together a number of good moves of their own. York keeper Jack Yates showed his awareness to leave his area and clear up a couple of attacks and made a number of impressive full-length saves but was beaten by a free kick with 10 minutes to go.

York & District Under-12s will face East Riding (Saturday, March 28) in the Michael Dale Trophy final after beating Sheffield 2-0 in the last four .

The match started at a fantastic pace, with York’s midfield of Noah Ward, Jamie Kay, Ozzy Shaw and Matty Ellison immense and setting the tempo for their team-mates. York’s back three of Jimmy Hendon, Harry Graves and Brogan Dunne were on top form in front of keeper Stan Connor.

Ben Farrar opened the scoring after the break with a solo goal starting from just inside Sheffield’s half. He added a second after Cam McMillan started a York attack and Farrar finished when the ball broke free for him.