YORK RUFC remain at the top of North One East table after recording a 40-17 derby victory at Malton & Norton.

The victory for York is their eighth in succession and means that they now lead the way by six points, with Cleckheaton their nearest challengers.

Malton’s league position, now eighth in the 14-team division, may have suggested the win would be a comfortable one for York, but on home soil this term, Malton had won seven time and lost just once.

The home side started the game securely, and though they weren’t expansive, they showed a strong scrummage and kept the ball tight.

York made tackles, stayed organised and kept their discipline.

When Malton did spread the ball, York were able to cover the wide attack safely.

Paul Angus, the Malton scrum-half and goal-kicker, had the chance to register the first points of the match but he missed an early penalty chance.

They were made to pay as Liam Hessay opened the scoring. He collected an open-field kick, passed to Toby Atkin and supported Atkin to receive the return before grounding.

Hessay then converted his own try.

York were looking to kick on from that opening score but both teams made mistakes during the following passage. Quick handling was difficult as the cold weather took its toll.

Malton & Norton kept the game tight; they had possession but no attacking breaks and their progress was limited by a sound York defence.

Their patience was soon rewarded though.

Number eight Sam Triffitt had a clean run that put the hosts deep in York territory and on a free-play from a scrum, James Bulmer prodded the ball in to the try-zone for Will Bell to raced onto and touch down.

Angus levelled the scores with the conversion.

With five minutes to go before half-time York scored three quick tries to put themselves into the ascendency.

From an almost standing start, Will Fordy received the ball in space at outside-centre forty metres out.

He broke two tackles and fended off the third on his way to the try-line.

Just after Malton restarted York quickly spread the ball wide to Rob Hodges on the wing.

Hodges ran with the ball then chipped it over the covering defence. Malton full-back Tom Hoggard mishandled the collect and the wing capitalised.

Shane Goulding then broke a tackle just inside the Malton half and he ran his way all the way through to the tryline.

Hessay kicked all three conversions to further the away side’s advantage.

York had defended well and made the utmost of their attacking opportunities ensuring a 28-7 lead at the half-time break.

A hard-working York driving maul forced Malton back to open the second-half.

Space was created for Jonny Frank in the centres who released Atkin in support who went over the whitewash for his second try of the match.

Hessay kicked his fifth successful conversion of the afternoon.

After a fractious period in the game with sustained Malton attacking possession, flanker Matt Bowman scored for the home team to reduce the deficit.

Angus missed the conversion.

If it wasn’t already, the game was over after Sam Forbes fed Ben Dyson-Dent who finished off some quick handling by the York back-line.

Hessay was unlucky to miss this conversion.

Jack Hobbs scored for Malton in the dying minutes of the game as Malton managed to reduce the margin of defeat.

York have a week off this coming weekend before they host Bradford & Bingley at the start of next month.

Pocklington’s scheduled match against Durham City was postponed as a mark of respect to former player Billy Hardy, who died aged 27 late last year.

Hardy’s funeral took place at the Pocklington Church on Friday and both Pocklington and Hull Ionians - for whom Hardy played for - agreed to postponed their respective fixtures.

Pocklington will face Durham in the rescheduled game on Saturday, February 22 (2:15pm kick-off).

Selby ended their three game losing run in the Northern Division Yorkshire division one by narrowly defeating Dinnington 20-17 at home.

The result means that Selby are seventh in the league table, five points ahead of their opponents Dinnington, whom they completed the double over as a result, having won reverse fixture 17-14 back in late September.

Selby trailed 10-12 at the half-time break but fought back to edge the contest and claim the lion’s share of the points.

York RI and Nestle Rowntree were not in action this weekend in Yorkshire four south east.

York RI are currently second in the league table, level on points with leaders Mosborough who have the advantage on points difference.

Nestle Rowntree are fifth in the seven-team division on 23 points.