YORK City moved to within a point of the top of National League North with a 2-0 win over AFC Telford United at Bootham Crescent.

The Minstermen were in control of the contest throughout but, after a promising start, for the longest time looked to be heading for another frustrating home draw.

But substitute Elliott Durrell got York's just reward not long after coming on - and Jordan Burrow netted an audacious second from a very tricky angle.

It was fitting that it should have been Burrow's persistence in attack that earned him his fourth goal in five games, as he and fellow forward Alex Kempster had given the Bucks' back line a torrid time all game.

There were no changes to York’s starting 11 from last week’s 2-0 win at Southport. Goalscorer Jordan Burrow earned his place at the spearhead of the attack for the 24th time this league campaign.

His near-perfect appearance record is pipped only by Alex Kempster’s 25 outings this term, and Sean Newton, who has played every minute of every league game so far.

Telford boss Gavin Cowan went with the same starting line-up as the last three outings, which have ended in a 1-0 win at Gloucester, a 1-1 draw at Alfreton and a 1-0 defeat at home to Brackley.

From the side that drew 1-1 at the New Buck’s Head against York back in October, there were four players different, with youngsters Zak Lilley and Billy Sass-Davies dropping out in favour of Shane Sutton and Everton Academy product Arlen Birch.

James McQuilkin, who scored the equaliser earlier in the season, started in attack.

York started off with good early pace and intent, Burrow winning a second-minute corner with good movement at the near post to reach David Ferguson’s left-wing cross. The corner skimmed all the way through the box.

Theo Streete got away the game’s first shot on goal but it was tame and easy for Pete Jameson to collect.

Newton delivered an excellent cross-field pass to Kallum Griffiths, whose header played Kempster into the box, but he was eventually dispossessed by Brendon Daniels.

Streete went agonisingly close in the 18th minute when he rose to meet Daniel’s corner kick. Under little pressure, he headed wide of Jameson’s left-hand post.

The hosts’ first shot on goal came from the effervescent Kempster, who wriggled away from a couple of challenges on the edge of the area. His low shot was fumbled by keeper Matt Yates, who recovered in time to collect it.

York had seemed keen – maybe too keen – to find the quick out by the midway point of the first half. Joe Tait was often perfectly positioned to intercept a pass forward, but his first-time balls resulted in little. Burrow was also guilty of wasting a good passing opportunity, having done fantastically to win back possession on the edge of his own area.

When York did get their foot on the ball, they looked far more threatening, and a more patient passing move across midfield saw Newton cut in from the left and force a save from Yates with his right foot.

Off his preferred left just before the half-hour, he drilled just wide from a good 40 yards.

Burrow and Kieran Green linked up well to win the ball back from a Telford throw, the latter playing to Paddy McLaughlin, whose left-footed effort from range was always rising.

Birch picked up a yellow card for grappling with Kempster outside the area after the forward had done well to win the ball back with Telford’s defence in disarray, Sutton having collided with keeper Yates. Green’s low delivery was just nicked off Newton’s boot.

With five minutes to go before half-time, the crowd thought captain Steve McNulty had his first goal in York colours. A driving run from Green set up Ferguson to whip in from the left, and the ball was put out just before Burrow could get to it. From the corner, McNulty’s looping header shaved the top of the crossbar.

York were well on top as the half drew to a close but were missing that elusive final ball or finish as Telford did just enough at the back. Green did superbly to power past Streete before his through ball was intercepted and put out for a corner, from which Tait headed high and wide.

York picked up the second half on the front foot, threatening through Green – who headed and volleyed two efforts either side of the goal – and Newton, whose ball in to Burrow was just cut out.

Telford had a decent foray forward of their own five minutes after the restart. Green lost out in the attacking half and both Moke and McLaughlin were beaten in midfield. Adam Walker breezed past McNulty, but his relatively simple pass into the area was too hard and sent Matty Stenson too wide out, allowing York to recover their shape.

Kempster twice was sent running on the last man – first from Griffiths’ clearance, then from Burrows’ flick-on – but his first shot was blocked when he two men in support while he battled for the second but was bested by Streete.

York were handed an unlikely opportunity when Green – breaking from his own box – misplaced his pass to Kempster straight at Ross White, who let it run through his legs and Kempster was away again. However, he played backwards to Griffiths, whose cross was cleared and the chance went.

The Bootham Crescent crowd became increasingly restless as the game ticked into the final quarter as Telford looked ever more content to hold onto the point by any means they could. McQuilkin insisted on kicking the ball away from Green as he tried to take a free kick, while Streete went off for lengthy treatment, returning to jeers from the crowd.

Despite York’s superior possession, they were creating fewer and fewer opportunities.

Jameson pulled off a superb reaction save to deny substitute Aaron Williams’ glancing header to the near post.

York substitute Macaulay Langstaff put a chance wide before Durrell – who had come off the bench mere minutes before – raced to the far post to meet Ferguson's cross and force his header beyond Yates. It was only his celebration that informed the crowd the ball had, in fact, gone in from the tightest of angles with just over five minutes to play.

Tenacious work from Burrow in the 89th minute saw him nick the ball off Yates and, from well out wide and another ridiculously tight angle, he lined up and curled exquisitely into the top corner around the near post.

Telford had a late strike ruled out for offside.

York: Jameson 8, Griffiths 7, Ferguson 8, Newton 8, McNulty 8, Tait 8, Moke 7 (Durrell 7, 81), McLaughlin 7, Burrow 7, Green 8, Kempster 7 (Langstaff 7, 69). Subs not used: Bond, King, Whitley.

Star man: Sean Newton. All three centre-backs deserve plaudits for a calm and composed performance in which they barely put a foot wrong. Newton also gave York an attacking edge with his thunderous strikes.

Goals: Durrell, Burrow

Yellow cards: McLaughlin, Burrow

Telford: Yates, Birch, White, Deeney, Sutton, Streete, Barnett, Walker, Stenson (Williams 67), McQuilkin (Dinanga 84), Daniels (Knights 84). Subs not used: Calder, Martinez.

Yellow cards: Birch

Referee: Dale Baines