YORK and District Schoolboys under-12s kickstarted the new year with a thrilling 4-3 victory over Rotherham at the University of York.

York were in front inside the opening minute of the match when Cam McMillan was brought down in the penalty, before dusting himself down to slot home the spot-kick.

Despite the bright start, York still seemed a little rusty from the Christmas break and a mix up in their backline allowed Rotherham to capitalise and register an equaliser.

The home side regrouped though and were handed another penalty kick, which was awarded after Ben Farrar was fouled inside the box.

And, it was Farrar rather than McMillan who stepped up from 12 yards, though his strike was saved by the Rotherham goalkeeper.

A minute later though and Farrar made amends as a McMillan cross from the right flank was whipped into his path allowing him to finish from close range.

York soon began to take control of the contest and struck the woodwork from Ozzy Shaw's strike after good build-up play in midfield from Jamie Kay and Matty Ellison.

The hosts doubled their lead, with Farrar involved once more.

The goal-scorer turned provider by sending in a cross from the left-hand side which deflected off a retreating defender and past the keeper, ensuring a 3-1 lead by half-time.

York picked up from where they left by the resumption of the second period.

Jack Huddlestone delivered a superb free-kick into the penalty which found the head of Eugene Revill who leapt high to make it 4-1.

The game was far from finished by that point though, with Rotherham fighting back to score twice in the space of a frenetic five minute spell - the first from the penalty spot, the second from a rebound strike after a free-kick.

At the 4-3, the challenge was for York to preserve their slim advantage as Noah Ward, Brogan Dunne and Huddlestone shut up shop at the back.

Ellison almost restored the two-goal cushion as his free-kick rattled off the crossbar.

Rotherham were awarded a free-kick in the dying seconds though keeper Stan Connor was equal to it to secure the three points for York.

Elsewhere, York and District Schoolboys U11s thrashed Leeds B 9-1 in their first game back after the Christmas break.

The first of the nine from Oliver Boast who headed home a Logan White corner for the first of his hat-trick.

Boast's second came soon after after surging in from the left flank and finishing from out wide.

Leeds were back in the game after finishing off a fast counter attack.

But, York's third goal quickly followed and it came through an own goal, with a Leeds defender inadvertently putting the ball into his own net from a White free-kick.

White was then on the scoresheet himself from a free-kick.

York were in full control by this point and Ewan Daly scored with a rebound from a tight angle to make it 5-1.

Finn Davis also got in on the action with goals number six and seven - the former being his first Schoolboy's goal.

Boast completed his treble from a Thomas Holtby through ball which he neatly finished.

Then, another White corner caused more problems for the Leeds defence and this time it was Finn Simpson who headed home in what would be York's final goal of the game.