TADCASTER Albion remain fifth in the Northern Premier League north/west division after a 0-0 draw with play-off rivals Pontefract Collieries.

Thought the Brewers failed to avenge their 1-0 loss to Pontefract in August, it was arguably their best performance of term as they became the first team to record a league shut-out against the Colls this campaign.

This, despite playing 70 minutes with 10 men, Adam Porritt shown a straight red after just 20 minutes for a tackle on former Taddy striker Joe Lumsden.

Ioan Evans was back for Taddy, though boss Paul Quinn was still without Andy Milne and Mitchell Pattinson.

Tadcaster started well with Jake Day harassing the Pontefract defence causing a very high, almost vertical clearance from keeper Sebastian Malkowski but the ball was eventually cleared.

A corner on four minutes was easily dealt with by Jameel Ible while the first free kick of the day at the other end from James Baxendale was an easy take for Michael Ingham.

Evans' free kick was cleared as the visitors broke but a last-ditch interception by Porritt calmed the situation. Alex Wiles was cautioned on 10 minutes as he went up for a header with Connor Smythe.

There was an early heart-in-mouth moment for Taddy on 11 minutes when Ingham went down after blocking a shot from Baxendale, but was okay to continue after being seen to by the physio.

Cody Cromack was booked for a foul on Wyles as the Brewers pressurised the visitors but, from the free kick, the Colls broke down the left Porritt saw red when he brought down Lumsden outside the box. Jack Greenhough won a corner from the free kick and Smythe blasted over.

On the half-hour Alfie Beestin, after a beautiful take, tried to put Day through but the big man could not get on the end of it. Chimalilo was brought down on a run but, contentiously, the free kick was awarded the other way.

Jake Picton put a peach of a pass to Jimmy Williams, who shot way over before picking up a groin injury which would see him substituted on 38 minutes

On 39 minutes, it was three against three as Pontefract attacked and Vaughan Redford set Lumsden away on the left flank. He shot low from an acute angle and the ball hit the woodwork and went away for a goal kick.

The 10 men of Tadcaster were giving it everything and Chimalilo was almost away on the right in the penultimate minute of the half but for an interception from Ible

Having played the last 25 minutes a man down, it was fair to say Taddy were happy with the game goalless at the interval.

It was an explosive restart from the Albion as Picton brought down Chimalilo in the box. Day tried to send Malkowski the wrong way but his shot towards the near post lacked power and direction and the Ponte keeper was equal to it. The Taddy striker was first to the resulting corner but his header was again well saved by the keeper.

Redford got on the end of a free kick but sent it the wrong side of the upright while Wyles sent an opportunist 25-yarder over the bar.

Tadcaster were denied a penalty when Day seemed to be clattered in the box and Lumsden was foiled by a terrific reaction save from Ingham as his goal-bound effort passed through a melee of legs.

Redford’s effort on 65 minutes took a deflection and looped towards the goal but cleared the crossbar. Michael Dunn had a chance at the far post but the header went over.

With the visitors taking full advantage of their numerical advantage, manager Quinn made his only substitution of the match, replacing Lebrun Mbeka with Kevin Santos, seemingly firmly of the opinion that the game was still there to be won.

With four minutes of normal time remaining, the Brewers were awarded a free kick some 35 yards out after Wyles had his heel clipped. Jack Walters launched the ball into the 18-yard area and Day battled his way through the defence but he could not get the shot away.

As the minutes ticked away, Ioan Evans put a header over, while at the other end, Lumsden suffered the same fate from almost point-blank range.

The Taddy players were throwing their bodies at every Pontefract pass and when the opposition did get through, Ingham was immaculate. On 90 minutes he saved brilliantly on the line from a corner and, in the third minute of added time, he denied Redford with his fingertips from eight yards.

At the bottom of the table, Pickering Town's first game under new manager Steve Roberts ended with a 3-2 defeat at Ramsbottom United.

Roberts was appointed last week to replace Denny Ingram at the helm following the Pikes' 3-0 New Year's Day defeat to Tadcaster.

Luke Thompson, Thomas Kennedy and Nic Evangelinos were on target for Ramsbottom, with Flynn McNaughton equalising just before the break and Iwan Heeley lobbing in a late consolation from almost on the halfway line.

Meanwhile, assistant manager and player Ryan Blott has left the club.