YORK Futsal Club suffered their first defeat of this National Futsal League season, going down 8-3 at home to Oxford City.

The result leaves the Minster city outfit fourth and nine points off the summit, but with two games in hand over Oxford and second-placed Cambridge.

York's final game of 2019 is at Cambridge today and return to action on January 12 at Sheffield.

Both teams had chances in the initial exchanges, but it was Oxford who took full advantage with two goals in quick succession after only two minutes.

Miguel Carrera scored first with a low and hard strike beyond keeper Karel Batha from a free kick conceded 10 metres out and Eduardo Tijerin added the second almost straight from the restart. Oxford pressed high with Denilson Da Silva stealing the ball and Tijerin tapped in at the back post.

Although behind, York had the biggest share of possession and chances, but lacked a clinical edge to their play.

Oxford, no doubt helped by their two-goal cushion, managed York’s efforts well and they made the home side pay the price for their profligacy in front of goal by increasing their lead to 3-0 after Da Silva pounced on a mistake by Daniel Pedras in the York half and played in team-mate Tijerin, who coolly slotted in.

York continued to pressure Oxford and finally got their reward with a cool left-footed finish over keeper Carlos Acosta from Mahamadi Ceesay on 10 minutes after intercepting a pass and combining with Rolando Donoso.

The hosts had further chances but Oxford restored their three-goal lead from a free kick lofted over the wall and onto the head of Luis Audibert, who had made a great run to the back post.

York were still creating chances, with the pick of them being a cleverly worked free kick saved well by Acosta and Fabinho's acrobatic volley from wide left.

Batha was called on to make a superb save towards the end of the half from a 10-metre Oxford penalty.

Oxford employed a more direct approach in the second half to alleviate the York pressure.

And just as York were showing some dominance, an individual mistake by Fabinho allowed Tijerin to steal the ball and brilliantly round the stranded keeper to give him his hat-trick.

York kept the intensity high and hit back after Fabinho brilliantly dealt with a long clearance from Oxford before playing in Ceesay on the right who crossed for Bulmer to knock the ball in at the far post.

With time running out, York went fly keeper and it quickly paid dividends as Donoso was fouled by the keeper in the box and Pedras converted the penalty, making it 5-3.

But as the game opened up, Oxford - having just missed a second 10-metre penalty - won a right-sided corner, which was cleverly back-heeled in by Julio Ramon. Oxford wrapped up the win with two goals in the last two minutes.

Head coach Junior Roberti said: "We made too many mistakes today, and you can’t do that against a team like Oxford.

"They scored three goals in the first part of the first half that completely changed our behaviour and the dynamic of the game. After that it was a very close game. We did manage to get back to 5-3 and had the majority of chances.

"It’s a good lesson now for us to see how we can improve before we meet the top teams like Oxford and Cambridge again."