THIRD-PLACED York RUFC kept pace with the top two in North One East as they won 15-0 at Kendal.

This was only the second ever meeting between the sides and the outcome was the same as the Pilkington Cup clash in 1993/4, which the home side unable to exact revenge.

York made a good start with fly-half Declan Cusack quietly pulling the strings, but they had trouble securing their own lineouts and were unable to make their advantage count.

After 20 minutes, York were caught offside and Kendal fly-half Glen Weightman failed with a long range attempt.

Weightman was stopped just short of the line after a break and he then missed another penalty attempt as the first half ended without any score.

Kendal pinned York back into their 22-metre area after the break, but the visiting defence was resolute.

York eventually broke out, Cusack kicked ahead, the follow-up threequarters hacked it forward and Kendal were penalised for holding on.

Cusack converted the penalty from the 22-metre line for a 3-0 lead.

Although Kendal came back strongly, they were being undone in the scrum and from yet another scrum penalty Cusack put York back onto the front foot with good distance on his kick.

As the home side struggled to clear from a retreating scrum, York scrum-half Toby Atkin pounced and fed number eight Shane Goulding, who eased past a tiring defence for an unconverted try.

The final quarter saw York begin to take a stranglehold as, territorially, they gained the upper hand.

Any Kendal raids were repelled by the York defence and a tricky little chip ahead landed in Sam Elliot’s hands and he finished the contest with a 60-metre dash to the posts for a try which Cusack converted.

A wonderful late try by Jacob Stephenson earned Malton & Norton an eye-catching 31-24 victory over Scarborough in North One East.

The Ryedale side led 24-12 at half-time at The Gannock, but Scarborough fought back to level the match at 24-24 before Stephenson’s match-winning try on 71 minutes.

On eight minutes, Malton’s Matt Bowman went in for a try, converted by Paul Angus.

Scarborough were quick to respond with an unconverted try on 16 minutes.

Three minutes later, with the Scarborough prop blatantly offside, Angus landed a penalty, before Malton lost midfield talisman Tom Foan to a head injury assessment, which saw Rob Armitage make his first appearance of the season.

After Scarborough missed a 32nd minute penalty attempt, plentiful ball from the hard working Malton pack saw James Bulmer sell a double dummy on 35 minutes to score and set Angus up with an easy conversion.

Shortly after the restart, Malton set up position for a trademark Rob Featherstone try, converted by Angus.

Scarborough replied deep into first-half injury time with a converted try to make it 24-12.

There was a 10-minute injury break in the second half after Scarborough’s Komiti Tuilagi ran into Armitage and retired hurt.

Malton’s concentration left them completely and they let in two tries, one converted, on 65 and 68 minutes, to level the scores.

However, a surge downfield saw Stephenson set up for a magical try, where he backed himself and his pace and strength to beat several defenders to the line.

The score was converted again by Angus.

Malton controlled the final 15 minutes despite a yellow card against skipper Sam Triffitt, whose efforts and leadership had been Herculean all game.

Pocklington maintained their recent improvement with a 34-15 bonus point win over visitors Percy Park.

After an Ed Liversidge charge, the Park full-back was pinned in possession and Christian Pollock's penalty opened the scoring on 18 minutes.

A close-range penalty scrum saw Pock shunt Percy Park over their own whitewash for David Davison to get the touchdown, Pollock converting.

Pocklington then did it again, from 25 metres out, with Britland rolling and reaching for the try and Pollock again adding the extras.

Pock handed Percy Park a penalty with the last kick of the half, but another monster scrum two minutes into the second period saw Pollock send a long range penalty sailing over for 20-3.

Percy Park weaved clear from their own half to go under the posts. But Pock then drove over halfway and Davison sniped and stepped round the side of a ruck and set off on a long diagonal sprint to score, Pollock converting.

A Park pass was picked off by home lock Josh Papa, who strolled to the line for the bonus point fourth try.

Pollock nailed the conversion to maintain his 100 per cent kicking record and stretch the lead to 34-10.

In the closing minutes, boosted by two Pock forwards departing early to the sin bin, Park squeezed in at the corner for a consolation score.

Selby are fourth in Yorkshire One after a 25-17 home victory over Bridlington.

Yorkshire Four (South East) leaders York RI went down 19-12 at Stanley Rodillians, only their second defeat of the campaign.

Nestle Rowntree bagged a stunning 23-15 victory over Stocksbridge in a match switched from their York St John University home to New Earswick All Blacks’ White Rose Avenue ground.

Trees immediately had Bridge’s big pack going backwards and after four minutes skipper and hooker Ryan Roodt bulldozed his way through the defence to score and prop Jack Gabbatiss converted from out wide.

After 30 minutes an offside by Bridge gave Gabbatiss a penalty and then he scored an unconverted try after crashing over from a ruck.

Bridge hit back with a penalty after 38 minutes after putting Trees under pressure for the first time.

In a hectic five minutes in the second half Gabbatiss kicked a penalty.

Trees conceded an unconverted try out wide before Gabbatiss again barged over from close range to give his side a 23-8 lead after an hour.

Bridge got back in the game after 70 minutes with a converted try, but Trees held on comfortably for a massive victory.