GEORGE DAVEY capped off the year with his second professional victory after out-pointing Dale Arrowsmith at the Arena Birmingham.

The patient front-foot boxing of Davey saw him win all four of the rounds to take a 40-36 decision from referee Howard John Foster, though he never looked like stopping the durable Arrowsmith.

It was another high-profile card that Davey was part of, with the show broadcast on BT Sport and featuring a total of six title fights, including the world bantamweight bout between Zolani Tete and John Riel Casimero.

Davey only made his professional debut back in October and still believes that he's learning plenty of lessons in the early stages of his career.

"It was more a play-about fight to be fair and I was practising the shots that I’d been working on in camp," said the Huntington-based fighter.

“I’d rather get the rounds and practise those shots at this stage of my career in order to keep on learning.

“The lad I was in against was really tough but I managed to bust his face up and by the end of the fight there was blood everywhere.

“He was a really tough cookie.

“But, this was another really good learning fight. I learnt a lot from my first fight, but I felt I learned even more from this one.

“I felt like I got all of the shots off that I wanted to and, to be fair to my opponent, he took them all really well.

“I’m not sure how I’d rate that performance, to be honest, because even if I went in there I knocked the guy out in the first round, I’d never give myself a ten out of ten performance.

“I’m always critical of my own performances and there’s areas of my game that need working on and improving on.

“I always like to watch my fights back to learn from them and to critique myself."

Davey worked patiently behind his jab in the opening round, carefully picking his shots and landing predominantly with the left-hand to the body - with his Stockport-born opponent offering little back in return.

The pattern was set as the fight moved into the second with Davey struggling to exert any sustained pressure but rarely taking himself thanks to his neat footwork.

Arrowsmith launched a rare attack in the last stage of the bout but Davey replied with some clever counter shots off the back foot, drawing blood from his opponent's nose.

In the aftermath to Davey's debut victory, he was critical of his proneness to switching off during the fight, but felt he'd improved in that area.

“I think overall there was less falling asleep during the fight," added the 22-year-old.

"In the first fight, I fell asleep a bit because I was so comfortable whereas this time, the aim was to try and stay more focused.

“Sometimes, if I’m winning the fight and everything is going well then I can just switch off, I guess.

“A lot of fighters do it but it’s about learning not to do it.

“I’m still finding my feet in the professional game and it is early days in terms of my career.

“This was only my second fight. With each fight, you’re going to see a different side of me and my different shots.

“We’re constantly looking to work on things. But, overall, I’m happy with my performance.

“The things that we’ve worked on have paid off and I think that everything is going to plan so far."