NEW boss Paul Quinn got his Tadcaster Albion reign off to a winning start with a 2-0 success at home to Droylsden in BetVictor Northern Premier League north/west division.

The win puts the Brewers sixth in the table, only one point behind second-placed Marske United and only five behind leaders Workington with two games in hand.

The deadlock was broken on 29 minutes when Jake Day, who hit the crossbar early on, put pressure on the goalkeeper after a back pass, gained possession and teed up Donald Chimalilo to finish.

On 49 minutes, Day’s header hit a post and he struck the woodwork again on 89 minutes.

However, Kevin Dos Santos ensured the game was safe with the second goal in the final minute.

Quinn said: “We worked so hard. The lads have put in an absolute shift.

“The only criticism is that we should have put the game to bed before we did.

“There were lots of positives. I have learned a lot. There were a lot of very solid performances.”

Albion are next in action when they entertain Dunston in the league on Tuesday (7.45pm).

Basement side Pickering Town suffered an 8-1 defeat at fifth-placed Trafford in the north/west division.

Jordan Johnson gave the hosts the lead in the ninth minute, although the Pikes had the chance to level on 20 minutes but Jackson Jowett saw his penalty saved.

Johnson added his second of the match on 31 minutes, netting with a long-range free-kick.

Curtis Miller got a third goal for the home side on 68 minutes, but Pickering immediately hit back with a penalty from Joel Dixon after a handball in the box.

The game got away from the visitors after that, with Lewis Walters making it 4-1 with a free-kick on 76 minutes, before four goals came in the closing five minutes.

Samuel Grimshaw netted on 85 minutes, Miller got his second with two minutes remaining, and Darius Palma then bagged a quickfire double.

On Tuesday (7.45pm), Pickering are scheduled to host Whitby Town in the first round of the Integro League Cup.

Scarborough Athletic were beaten 3-1 at Witton Albion in the premier division.

William Smart gave the home side a 16th-minute lead and William Jones made it 2-0 on 62 minutes.

James Walshaw pulled a goal back for Scarborough with 18 minutes remaining, but five minutes later Adam Anson scored from the penalty spot to make the game safe.

Whitby Town’s home game against Grantham Town was postponed.

Selby Town’s game at home to Hallam was one of seven postponed due to waterlogged pitches in division one of the Toolstation Northern Counties East League.

Leaders Skegness Town and second-placed Campion were also thwarted by the weather, so the Robins did not lose any ground in third place.

Selby have no midweek fixture and are due to visit 10th placed Parkgate next Saturday.