WIGGINTON Grasshoppers joined Huntington Rovers and Old Malton St Mary's in the draw for the quarter-finals of the North Riding FA Saturday County Cup following a 5-3 win over Redcar Newmarket.

It all looked to be plain sailing for Hoppers as they took an early lead from a Gary Newton header and looked untroubled for a short while.

However, two goals from the Redcar team turned the tie on its head and Wigginton soon found themselves 3-1 down just five minutes into the second half.

Matt Tiplady then prodded the ball home to make it 3-2 before lashing home a second to level the match with 10 minutes remaining.

With Wiggy now in the ascendency Tiplady raced through on goal again, only to be hacked down.

Newton completed his brace from the spot to make it 4-3, before Mike Clancy pulled off a great save to maintain the visitors' advantage.

A good move two minutes from time finished with Tiplady and Newton playing a one-two and the former completing his hat-trick to seal the win.

Meanwhile, Thorpe United moved up to second with a 5-2 victory over reigning champions Old Malton St Mary’s in the York Minster Engineering Football League premier division.

With leaders Dringhouses having a free week, all eyes turned to the games involving the chasing pack.

The win for Thorpe was another big name scalp following their recent defeat of Wigginton Grasshoppers.

Thorpe are now only three points behind Dringhouses, having played two games more.

Third-placed Huntington Rovers had to work for the three points in their game with Sporting Knavesmire after trailing 1-0 at half time to a Danny Owers goal.

Second half strikes from Jonny Bullivant and James Edmond earned Rovers a 2-1 win.

F1 Racing took an early lead at home to Church Fenton and powered on to lead 6-1 at the break.

Their opening half haul came courtesy of two goals from Dan Hickey and George Trifan, plus one apiece from Luke Clayton and Toby Fisher.

Church Fenton worked hard in the second half, and F1 missed a number of opportunities to extend the lead before Hickey completed his hat-trick on 75 minutes.

A late consultation gave Church Fenton some reward for their hard work.

The top four sides in division one saw their games postponed but the bad weather did no favours for Malt Shovel, who couldn’t capitalise on the opportunity after being held to a remarkable 5-5 draw at Bishopthorpe United.

Malton & Norton moved up to sixth place thanks to a brace from Matty Reeves and a Steve Hoggard finish, the goals giving them a 3-1 victory at Harrison Signs.

Neil Richardson got Signs’ consolation.

Louis Wilson and Josh Leeming earned Haxby Town a share of the points from their 2-2 draw with Riccall United.

James Hymers and Luke Durham struck for Riccall.

Rufforth United moved level on points with Cawood and Wombleton Wanderers following their 4-1 success at home to Brooklyn.

Cawood were busy in County Cup action but Wombleton slipped up, losing 2-1 at Heslington.

Heso’s success came courtesy of two wonder strikes from Danny Mairs.

Civil Service led Barmby Moor via a Luke Addison goal but were pegged back by half-time thanks to a good finish from Jake Lance.

Alex Day restored the Service lead in the second period only to see Curtis Barker snatch a point and a 2-2 draw with just a few minutes remaining.

James Smith and Daniel Zimer netted for Wheldrake at The Beagle, but it wasn’t quite enough to earn a share of the spoils as their side slumped to a 3-2 loss.

Garforth WMC continue to lead the way in division three and did their goal difference no harm with a 7-0 thumping of York RI.

Jason Albrecht, Tim Marks, Joe Boarder, Matt Fisher and Jed Hudson all netted with Ryan Peate weighing in with a brace.

York St John once again matched strides at the top of the table, defeating Crayke United 3-1.

Regular marksmen Jonty Russell Rayment and Jenson Joseph netted, with St John’s third goal coming from Tom Brand.

Swinton defeated LNER Builders 3-2.

Simon Webster and James Buchanan struck to earn Helperby United a point from a 2-2 draw with Walnut Tree.

Dringhouses pulled four points clear at the top of reserve 'A' after defeating Dunnington 3-1.

Harry Blackwell hit the target for the visitors but they were outpointed by goals from Joe Rawcliffe, Dave Melody and Liam Robertson. '

Houses' win moved them further ahead of Old Malton St Mary's, who dropped points in a 1-1 draw with Tockwith, for whom Jamie Perkins scored early in the game. Malton equalised in the last minute.

Huntington Rovers dropped their first points of the season on their trip to Wigginton Grasshoppers, who ironically gained their first points of the season from the game.

Alessandro Delrio fired Wigginton ahead early in the game and their lead was doubled shortly afterwards by Jude Brigham.

A Luke Roberts free-kick made it 3-0 to the home side before former Wigginton striker Lee McQuade and Oliver Hanley made it 3-2 as Rovers got themselves firmly back into the match.

Hoppers keeper Nathan Butler then made a couple of outstanding saves to preserve his side's lead before Tom Pepper completed Wiggy's scoring to seal a 4-2 success.

Thorpe United made light work of the visit of Poppleton, putting seven past their opponents without reply.

Pocklington Town won 7-1 at Church Fenton.

Tadcaster Magnets slipped to their first defeat of the season in reserve 'B' as they were sunk 3-2 at Malt Shovel. Scott Collins and Marlon Bentley netted for Magnets in their loss.

Malt Shovel's win handed Hemingbrough United the chance to go top of the league and they took it with both hands, beating Rawcliffe 5-1.

Connor Pears scored Rawcliffe's consolation with Aiden Butler (2), Josh Evans, Tom Shepherd and Ricki Hutton making the scoresheet for Hemingbrough.

Ben Storey and Ben Orange were on target for F1 Racing but they suffered a 3-2 loss at Copmanthorpe, whose goals came from Ben Holding, Ben Jones and Steve Ellis.

James Coss hit a hat-trick for Stamford Bridge as they handed out a 5-1 beating to Rufforth United. Mike Smith and Greg Nesbitt were also on target for Stamford.

Strensall Tigers continued their unbeaten run in reserve 'C' with a 7-0 defeat of Sporting Knavesmire. Johnny Cooper (2), Shane Bogg, Lee Bunce, Paul Dodd, Jason Heslop and Joseph Sawyer bagged for the Tigers.

Dan Marshall netted for Marston Green in their 1-1 draw at Brooklyn.

Civil Service were 1-0 up at half-time at home to Heslington courtesy of Shaun Rayner.

Duncan Urquhart extended the lead in the second half before Rayner fired home from the penalty spot to seal a 3-0 success.

James Nelson and Martyn Fielden struck for Wheldrake in their 2-2 share-all with Harrison Signs.

Fulford United defeated Cliffe 5-2.

* Sporting Knavesmire, who field teams in the premier division and reserve 'C' are looking to recruit players.

Anyone interested should phone John Dale on 07955 415343 or email johndale156@btinternet.com.