YORK & District Schoolboys under-12s emphatically ended leaders Leeds’ 100 per cent winning record as they thrashed the West Yorkshire side 8-2 to move into top spot.

It didn’t take York to score their first as Jack Huddlestone whipped in a cross from the left wing, picking out brother Harry who rose highest to head into the bottom right corner.

York stole the initiative and caught Leeds on the back foot as they scored a further three goals in the next 15 minutes.

Ben Farrar was the scorer of all of them, registering a quick-fire treble to take the scoreline to 4-0.

The best of his hat-trick was his third as Jamie Kay swung the ball in from the right flank, allowing Farrar to rifle home a left-footed strike.

To their credit, Leeds kept on battling and didn’t let their heads drop despite the deficit. They continued to great opportunities throughout the rest of the first half though some fine stops from goalkeeper Eugene Reville ensured that Leeds remained scoreless at the interval.

York added to their dominant position soon into the second half as Ozzy Shaw netted a brace of goals in quick succession before Harry Huddlestone added his second of the game.

Farrar capped the York scoring off with his fourth goal of the afternoon and his side’s eighth.

In the dying stages of the game, Leeds managed to register two consolation goals that were deserving of their efforts.

In the end though it was York who took the points and top spot.

Elsewhere, York’s U13s were unable to replicate the success of their youngest side as they were beaten 4-1 by Rotherham.

York began the game strongly and matched their South Yorkshire opponents well in the early stages.

Joe Meek was controlled proceedings in the centre of midfield while the combination of Jack Cottam and Billy Dickinson looked organised in their roles at centre back.

An early half chance fell to York's Joe Thompson who saw his shot blocked.

After 20 minutes of action, Rotherham took the lead as a quickly-taken corner caught York off guard as a Rotherham player volleyed home while unmarked.

York remained competitive though as Ben Garbutt-Smith had an effort blocked and a header go over the bar while Harry Fort’s dipping volley dragged just wide.

Rotherham retained their one-goal advantage into half-time before a couple of quick-fire goals into the second period put the result beyond doubt.

York looked threatening on the flanks through Cameron Wakerley and Garbutt-Smith, but Rotherham used this to their advantage, countering quickly to add a fourth.

York continued to create chances though and plenty of them. Thompson had a couple of chances, one of which rattled the crossbar while Leo Littlewood had an effort saved and Garbutt-Smith saw a shot pushed past the post by the goalkeeper.

Ben Armitage also had a good opportunity when his long-range effort flew just over the crossbar as York pushed for their first goal.

Eventually it came and it merited their efforts during the course of the contest.

Armitage was the provider as his cross was smartly controlled and finished by Garbutt-Smith to put York on the scoresheet.

The U13s though remain waiting for their first win of the new league season.