YORK RUFC continued their climb up the North One East table with a 24-21 victory at former leaders Scarborough.

The Clifton Park outfit are up to third in the table while Scarborough have dropped to second.

A largely uneventful and scrappy first half - in which York looked lethargic - ended with the hosts 6-3 up.

But the second half was a completely different story and York battled back from a 21-10 deficit to take the spoils.

The starting line-up had three injury enforced changes with Ben Dyson-Dent, Chris Fox and Lewis Hannibal replacing Liam Hessay, Oscar Bell and Freddie Smith respectively.

Neither side was able to find any consistency in the first period, with handling errors abounding in slippery condition.

Tom Ratcliffe kicked two Scarborough penalties, with Declan Cusack replying for York.

York were the first to attack in the second half but were repelled by good Scarborough defending and a Scarborough turnover just inside their own half allowed Jordi Wakeman to kick over the York defence. Jonty Holloway crossed in the corner for an unconverted score.

Scarborough, now on the front foot, went further ahead when Billy Parker powered over under the posts from a scrum 10 metres out. Ratcliffe added the conversion, then a penalty.

With 15 minutes to go, Lewis Hannibal gave York a lifeline. A Cusack kick to the corner gave York an attacking line-out and good Scarborough defence held York at bay but, from a resulting scrum, Hannibal powered over and Cusack added the conversion.

York were now controlling possession and a good move from the backs sent the ball wide to Rob Hodges, who finished well in the corner. Cusack added a difficult conversion to bring the score back to 21-17 with six minutes to play.

Almost immediately from kick-off York regained possession and Cusack put a beautifully weighted kick over for Sam Elliot, who outpaced the Scarborough defence to score in the corner. Again, Cusack added the difficult conversion.

On Saturday, York entertain Percy Park.

Milestone man Sam Triffitt led Malton & Norton RUFC to a 21-17 victory over Morley in his 300th first team appearance.

Triffitt, leading the team for the seventh successive season, has spent 14 years at The Gannock and his team marked the occasion in style in North One East.

Malt were 17-0 down at half-time but completely reversed Morley's dominance in the second.

Chris Inman darted over for the first score, with Paul Angus adding two points from wide out, before Ali Fothergill crossed for a seven-pointer from a scrum.

James Bulmer sold an outrageous dummy to go over and put Malt ahead, and Angus again added the two points.

Next week, Malton travel to local rivals Pocklington.

Pock sit 12th in North One East following a 28-22 defeat to Kendal at Percy Road.

The depleted hosts' battling second-half performance was not quite enough to overhaul the lead Kendal had built up in the first half-hour.

Starting the afternoon was a minute's silence for Pocklington player, parent, grandparent and supporter, Bill Fletcher. A Cumbrian by birth, Bill came to Pocklington from St Johns College as Woldgate's first PE teacher when the school opened in 1958, and he spent a decade playing fly-half at Percy Road, often alongside pupils and former pupils.

Kendal had opened up an ominous 20-3 lead but Pocklington dragged themselves into it with the last play of the first half. Debutant wing Jack Edwards finished with aplomb and Pollock converted.

Having finished the first period on a high, Pocklington made a bad start to the second half and Kendal kicked their third penalty.

A penalty try got Pock back into contention but Kendal again pulled away with an unconverted try.

With time running out, Pollock's chip-and-chase laid the foundations for lock Andy Little to crash in for the losing bonus point.

Fourth-placed in Yorkshire One, Selby beat Goole 27-17 at home. On Saturday, the Swans host West Leeds.

Yorkshire Four leaders York RI thumped bottom side Sheffield Oaks 36-0.

The struggling hosts have shown improved form this season, but fears for a tougher encounter than previous years were allayed by fly-half Tim Lewis’ early try and hooker Frazer Land’s conversion.

Flanker Franck Rossi’s sin-binning made it harder for the visitors - and Land’s dismissal doubled their task, with yellow cards following for second-rower Yohan Barthelemy and replacement hooker Alec Webster as tensions rose.

Still, with half-time approaching, the visitors found a second score. Stand-in scrum-half Ali Jordan exploited space down a blind side dotted down, with number eight Lewis Starbuck converting.

The second half was largely one-way traffic. The next score came from returning centre Sam Royle, who broke 50 metres through the middle and beat a number of Oaks defenders to score in the corner.

RI continued to press and the strong-running Barthelemy scored a pair of unconverted tries.

The next and final score of the game went to Starbuck, with Rossi taking over the kicking duties to add the conversion.

With five minutes remaining and tempers beginning to flare again, the referee called an early end to the game.

Next up for RI is a home game against Hessle on Saturday, November 9.

Nestle Rowntree conceded their game at Mosborough.