By Phil Dearnley

Selby Town 4 Ollerton Town 0

ANOTHER bumper crowd was in attendance at The Fairfax Plant Hire Stadium, to revel in another three points won by The Robins.

Selby now boast the most potent attack in Division 1, and Ollerton Town just didn’t look like they were ever going to keep Town’s marauding attackers at bay, despite heroics from goalkeeper Levi Owen, and his defence.

Still no Liam Flanagan, so Selby’s starting 11 was the same as started last Saturday at Swallownest.

The game began with Pete Lawrie being the first goalkeeper to be called into action to routinely gather an Ollerton shot. There then followed a period where Town were in the ascendancy, without actually creating a great deal by way of goal chances. Selby seemed to be trying too hard to force the issue, and tried to play spectacular passes, that were easy meat for the Ollerton back line, rather than play more simple passes.

Town’s back line looked reasonably comfortable, and were playing their way out of trouble, in a manner that would please Pep Guardiola, but despite this it was Ollerton who had the best early chances. Pete Lawrie was called upon to tip a long range shot over the bar. Shortly after, Conor Higginson got on the end of a low cross, and somehow, hit the ball over the bar from less than six yards out. Ollerton then went close with header from a free kick.

For their part The Robins were getting in good attacking positions, but were just not able to create that opening goal. A Chris Jackson cross was cleared from the onrushing Josh Walker. Levi Owen was forced to make a good save from Chris Jackson, who had been fed by Casey Stewart.

Josh Walker beat his man, and set off towards goal, only to be stopped by the crudest of tackles, that rightfully earned the defender a booking. A free kick saw a header over the bar, and a cross from the right found Casey Stewart at the back post , but his half volley cleared the cross bar.

After a great deal of pressure it seemed certain that Selby would find the key to unlock the Ollerton defence. Sure enough, a little bit of magic, in the form of a defence splitting pass from Danny Walker, sent Casey Stewart racing, clear behind the Ollerton back line. He coolly stood the goalkeeper up, before slotting the ball past him into the net.

Josh Walker was then just wide with a shot, after a neat Myles Lawman pass had created the chance.

Another Robin’s goal looked imminent as the Ollerton defence looked like they were wilting under the pressure. It didn’t take long in coming, this time, via the penalty spot. Chris Jackson chased a long ball, and succeeded in getting possession behind a defender. He powered into the penalty box, only to be hauled back, as he was just about to pull the trigger. The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

Chris Jackson stepped up to finish the job by slotting past the keeper, with ease.

Ollerton almost got back into the game just before the half time break. Pete Lawrie was forced to make an excellent point blank save to thwart Conor Higginson from close range.

Two goals to the good, and a pleasing performance from Selby Town, without them ever hitting the heights they are capable of.

The second half continued in much the same vein, with Town in the ascendancy; very much in control of the game. Selby’s defence was coping well with anything that Ollerton threw at them, whilst the attack looked dangerous in flashes.

Chris Jackson whipped in a cross from the Selby right. Josh Walker couldn’t get his head on it, and Casey Stewart coming in behind could only place his effort wide. Josh Walker did good work in dispossessing a defender, then running past a couple of desperate tackles. Unfortunately, a wild shot, high, and wide, spoiled all his good work.

Fortunately, it didn’t take the young forward long to get his goal. A mazy run down the left from Casey Stewart, left defenders trailing, and enabled him to cross into the six yard box. Chris Jackson, and Josh Walker were eager to pounce, almost getting in each other’s way. It fell to Josh Walker to force the ball home from very close range.

It wasn’t long before goal number four arrived, and in many ways it was similar to the previous goal. This time it was Danny Walker who made progress down the left, and this time his inch perfect cross gave Chris Jackson the task of slotting past the goalkeeper from close range.

With half an hour left The Robins engaged cruise control, and set about seeing out the match and keeping the three points safe. Ollerton came more into the game as they gamely pressed forward and Town were indebted to Pete Lawrie, who had to make another good save to preserve Town’s second consecutive clean sheet. Ryan Gothard overplayed, and almost caused himself some embarrassment, as he was dispossessed.

At the other end Josh Walker almost played in his brother Danny and Josh was denied a second goal, by a good block by goalkeeper Levi Owen. Substitute Josh Rogerson’s marauding run from full back, was only halted by a desperate last ditch tackle, at the expense of a corner. Danny Walker almost got on the end of a pass to get himself a deserved goal.

The final whistle went, with the crowd glad to celebrate another three points.

On Wednesday evening Selby travel to near neighbours Armthorpe Welfare, for their first outing in The West Riding County Cup, before continuing their FA Vase adventure, on non-league day, at The Fairfax Plant Hire Stadium. Cheadle Town are the visitors.

Selby Town: Pete Lawrie, Will Ramsay, Luke Sellers, Myles Lawman, Ryan Gothard, Ali Ann, Chris Jackson, Charlie Clamp, Danny Walker, Josh Walker, Casey Stewart.

Subs: Dale Holding, Josh Rogerson, Danny Snaith, Jon Vass, Harry Bissett.

Ollerton Town: Levi Owen, Tom Moody, Lewis Murr, Sam Martin, Brandon Shaw, George Slack, Aaron Hewitt, Aaron Sennett- Neilson, Conor Higginson, Lewis Bingham, Sean Dickinson.

Subs: Taylor Fletcher, Sam Stretton, Liam Cooper, Lewis Price, Alex Sennett.

Attendance 197