York City 3, King’s Lynn Town 0

YORK CITY moved three points clear at the top of the National League North after battling to a hard-fought 3-0 win over King’s Lynn.

In the end, the scoreline looked rather harsh considering the competitiveness of King’s Lynn - who were third before the game - throughout the match.

But the quality from York in the final third proved too much.

David Ferguson laid the opener on a plate for Andy Bond before doubling the lead with a neat finish. Late on, Joe Tait’s header sealed the points.

The visitors came up against an excellent backline too, a defence which has incredibly conceded just six goals in 12 league games - a division-best.

It’s a mark of the quality of this York side and perhaps an indication of things to come that, for large spells, they weren’t at their best.

They continue to find a way to win though as they have done all season, extending their unbeaten run now to 15 matches.

Steve Watson made three changes to the starting 11 that progressed past Irlam in the FA Cup last weekend.

Peter Jameson, Harry Spratt and Jordan Burrow returned while new signing Elliott Durrell had to settle for a spot on the bench, as did last weekend’s goalscorer Kyle McFarlane.

The two sides placed first and third in the table at 3pm, but there was little quality shown from either side in the opening 20 minutes

Yellow cards to Aaron Jones and Adriano Moke were the only things to get the packed Bootham Crescent fairly animated.

As has been said on multiple occasions in recent weeks, it was left wing back Ferguson that sparked the game into life.

Two crosses in as many minutes won York a couple of quick-fire corners, though City couldn’t convert them.

But, shortly after, Bond spread play to the left, Ferguson beat his full-back once more and sent in another teasing cross.

This time King’s Lynn were unable to defend it at the front post and it fell on a plate for Bond to tap home before racing to the dugout to jump on club physio Ian Gallagher in celebration.

After Bond’s opener, chances for either side were few and far between before the interval.

Sean Newton did well to keep a corner alive and cross for Tait, though Alex Street managed to make a routine save.

It’s difficult to make too many criticisms of a York team that haven’t lost any of their last 14 competitive games, but the midfield trio of Moke, Bond and Paddy McLaughlin does seem to lack a creative edge.

York retained their lead until the half-time break, but there were several shaking heads from players as they went to the tunnel.

It was King’s Lynn that finished the half as the stronger side. Chris Henderson head a brilliant cross from the right wide before former City striker Michael Gash ran inside from a pass from the left flank but could only shoot straight at Jameson.

After the restart, King’s Lynn retained their role as the aggressors. Jones latched onto a through ball to go past Ferguson before a dangerous cross was cleared behind.

York saw some of the possession after that, but most aimed towards either Burrow or Alex Kempster carried too much weight.

The hosts were forced into more defensive work before the hour mark.

Gash dived at a drilled cross from the left and a combination of Jameson and Spratt managed to put it behind.

King’s Lynn couldn’t maintain their pressure though and Jameson was fairly unworked. Jordan Richards’ skyward shot over the bar was all that faced him for the next 10 minutes.

Soon after, York secured the victory.

There are no prizes for guessing who was again involved, with Ferguson managing to add a goal to his assist.

Kempster chased a loose ball in the left corner and put it a delivery to the front post with Ferguson on hand to steer the ball into the far corner.

The 71st minute seemed to spark York into life with two great chances coming minutes later.

Ferguson almost had a second when Moke’s right-side cross was put inches wide from the wing-back’s header.

Then Ferguson turned provider for Kempster, putting a low cross nicely to his path. He looked certain to score only for a last-ditch tackle by Ross Barrows to deny him.

With seven minutes to go, the result was put beyond any doubt, with Tait heading home a corner and gleefully reeling away in celebration.

To their credit, King’s Lynn plugged away until the finish but the wall of the York defence remained impenetrable.

York: Jameson 7, Dyer 6, Tait 7, Newton 7, Spratt 6, Ferguson 8, Moke 6, McLaughlin 6, Bond 7 (Green 6, 75), Kempster 7, Burrow 6. Subs not used: Whitley, King, Durrell, McFarlane.

Goals: Bond (22), Ferguson (71), Tait (83).

Yellow cards: Moke, Kempster.

Star man: David Ferguson. His brilliant cross put the Bond’s opener on a tee and he got a rare goal himself too.

King’s Lynn Town: Street, Jones, Fox, Jarvis (Barrows, 45), Smith, McAuley, Clunan (Richards 62), Payne, Gash, Marriott, Henderson. Subs not used: Kelly, Carey, Richards, Stewart.

Yellow cards: Jones.

Attendance: 3,082.

Referee: Aaron Bannister.