YORK Acorn produced the unthinkable by gaining automatic promotion on the back of a stunning 88-0 home win over bottom of the table, relegated Dewsbury Moor.

The win saw Acorn finish second on points difference, just edging out Featherstone Lions - who although they won 56-12 at Myton, agonisingly fell points short of Acorn's points difference.

No one could have predicted this size of win for Acorn after the opening quarter, as Dewsbury Moor were giving as good as they got and Acorn were finding it difficult to create quality openings.

The game changed in Acorn's favour with the first triple interchange on the 20-minute mark.

Suddenly Acorn looked full of ideas and they opened their points account on 22 minutes, when winger Martin Pederson Scott squeezed in at the left-hand corner flag for an unconverted try - to put Acorn 4-0 up.

He repeated the feat on 24 minutes, when he stepped inside the Dewsbury Moor cover defence to score a try converted by stand off and man of the match Anthony Chilton to put Acorn 10-0 up.

On the half-hour mark, a piece of classy footwork from centre Ryan Gallacher created the next opening and he then executed a fine inside pass to put scrum-half Lewis Brown over for Acorn's next score, which Chilton goaled to push Acorns lead to 16-0.

Dewsbury Moor were reduced to 12 men on 32 minutes following the dismissal of substitute Thomas Harrington for an alleged dangerous tackle on Acorn's sub hooker Lewis Lord.

Acorn took full advantage of the extra man to increase their lead on 37 minutes, when Gallacher scored an unconverted try out wide to give Acorn a 20-0 lead.

An excellent Jordan Potter break and offload on 38 minutes, brought Acorn their next score when Lord was on hand to take Potters pass and score a try goaled by Chilton, that saw Acorn go in at the break 26-0 up.

On 46 minutes, Potter himself crashed over for Acorns next score that stretched the hosts lead to 30-0.

Substitute Josh Thompson was the next Acorn try scorer on 48 minutes, as the miracle started to look possible. Chilton's conversion giving the blue and golds a 36-0 lead.

Quick fire tries by Brown on 50 and 56 minutes to complete his hat-trick, along with a 52nd-minute try sandwiched in the middle by Gallacher to which Chilton converted all three - suddenly saw Acorn stretch their lead to a promising 54-0 lead.

Dewsbury Moor were reduced to 11 men for the remainder of the game, when their experienced player coach and centre Danny Maun was sent off for alleged dissent on 59 minutes.

Within a minute, Acorn were back on the try scoring trail, when Potter crashed over for an unconverted try to put Acorn 58-0 up with still 20 minutes to play.

Further scores from Pederson Scott on 62 minutes, a brace for Potter on 66 and 68 minutes to bring his tally for the game to four and a further Chilton conversion saw Acorn edging closer to the miracle by stretching their lead to 72-0.

In the middle of this points fest, Dewsbury Moor were reduced to 10 men, when Caiden Wilkinson was red carded for alleged foul play on 65 minutes.

A clever kick over the top by Gallacher on 72 minutes brought Acorn a try for full-back Joe Budd, that increased Acorns lead to an unbelievable 76-0.

Acorn knew that Featherstone Lions were also winning fairly comfortably, but the overall points difference was too close to call at this juncture.

So Acorn realised they needed to keep playing as a team and let the ball create the space with good hands.

Acorn managed two vital further converted scores on 74 minutes through second rower Reece Rushworth and a fourth try of the game for Pederson Scott on 76 minutes to which Chilton added the extras to give Acorn an emphatic 88 - 0 win.

They had a nervous four minutes to wait before Featherstone Lions final score away at Myton filtered through and the realisation that Acorn had in fact pulled off the feat.