YORK City maintained their 100 per cent away record in the National League North with a 3-2 victory at Gloucester City.

Alex Kempster scored early goals in both halves, and Jordan Burrow pitched in with one just before the break for the table-toppers.

Burrows' header gave City a valuable lifeline as quickfire goals from the hosts' top scorer so far this season Joe Hanks and striker Jake Jackson put the Tigers ahead.

Aside from this flurry of activity, there was not an awful lot of goal threat from either side in the first half-hour or so.

Another flurry followed at the start of the second half all in City's favour - and the remainder followed suit in excitement as Gloucester had to hunt the equaliser.

Club captain Steve McNulty did not make the squad for Saturday. The 35-year-old was rested, likely as a precaution, as he recovers from a hamstring tweak.

This was York’s only personnel change from last Monday. On for his professional debut, Josh King also made his league bow for the Minstermen in McNulty’s absence while striker Jordan Burrow – whose goal against Gateshead was his third of the season – took the armband.

Between the sticks for Gloucester City was Birmingham City loanee Zach Jeacock, who has just received a call-up to the England Under-19 squad.

He was supported at the back by 18-year-old former Bristol City right-back Kieran Smith. Also out wide was Vincent Harper and up front was Goal of the Season winner for last term, Frenchman Fabien Robert.

It was a fairly cagey opening to the half, which was to continue for much of the 45.

The first real moment of note came six minutes in when Burrow hit the side netting from Ferguson’s low ball.

And Gloucester could consider this a warning shot as, less than 60 seconds later, York were ahead. Kieran Green curled a first-time pass out to Ferguson and this time, the wideman’s ball in was dispatched by Kempster.

Joe Parker flashed a volley just wide of left-hand upright 13 minutes in before Alex Kempster had a fine rising effort saved at the other end. He nicked the ball inside the box, turned and fired in one motion.

Up to the quarter-hour mark, the back three had little to contend with. As in pre-season, King looked largely assured at the back, making a couple of good, firm tackles and attempting the odd cheeky flicked pass. Joe Tait got a good block in on Robert’s shot from distance.

A strong length-of-the-pitch wind going in Gloucester’s attacking direction in the first half posed a challenge for both sides. Where Gloucester’s aerial balls often went overhit, York’s hung in the air – though this did make Kempster a greater threat of nipping in behind.

That said, aside from the opener and Kempster’s saved shot, York had few real sights of goal. The next clearest came in the 27th minute through Ferguson, who dispossessed a defender and dragged across goal.

Just after the half-hour, King was well-positioned to head away Joe Hanks’ cross in – but there was nothing anybody could do about the latter’s equalising strike, arrowed into Peter Jameson’s top-left corner, albeit having been allowed the space to get the shot away.

Jake Jackson turned the game on its head with seven minutes to go of the half, netting from close range after Joe Parker was able to cut in from the left and play a ball through.

But Burrow was in the right place to head in a dangerous corner right-sided corner to send the sides into the break level.

Five minutes after the restart, Kempster had his second, stretching well to prod in Green’s ball in.

Moke came close to extending York’s lead shortly after. He stole the ball in the box from a short goal kick but, from a tight angle, Jeacock stood up well to deny him.

Burrow had a deft goal-bound flick blocked by Harper after excellent work down the left by Kempster, who had nipped around Josh Thomas and powered towards the box before delivering for Burrow.

Green showed had a couple of chances during York’s period of dominance, first forcing Jeacock into a reaction save to tip over from a long-range free kick, before getting his head to a Kempster cross to the back post. Jeacock looked quite uncomfortable after tipping away the first effort and needed physio treatment but, with no other recognised keeper on the bench, boss Mike Cook was likely reluctant to take him off.

Gloucester were not without their threat, and they grew into the second half. One good foray forward was ended by the offside flag with Jackson well-placed in the area to receive the right-wing ball, while another was cut short by yet another Adriano Moke tackle in midfield.

York’s crossing was suspect in the second period. Ferguson and Sean Newton often failed to beat the first man.

Burrow’s role in occupying the defence was very apparent with a quarter of an hour remaining. His movement dragged two men out of position and Green got away a good effort on the turn from a Ferguson cross, with Kempster pouncing on the fumble and crossing in but it was turned away.

Newton and Jameson both made vital blocks in the dying minutes as City battled to protect their slender lead.

Gloucester: Jeacock, Smith (Hainault 78), Harper, Thomas, Avery, Knowles, Parker, Hanks (Kotwica 78), Jackson, Russe, Robert. Subs not used: Johnstone, Unwin.

Goals: Hanks, Parker

Yellow cards: Smith

York: Jameson 7, Griffiths 7, Ferguson 8, Newton 7, King 7, Tait 7, Moke, Bond 7, Burrow 8, Green 8, Kempster 9. Subs not used: York, Spratt, Langstaff, Dyer, Whitley.

Star man: Alex Kempster. Showed great movement to get two valuable early goals in both halves and was a constant threat to the defence.

Goals: Kempster (2), Burrow

Yellow cards: Burrow