IN-FORM Heworth ARLC are still in contention for the end-of-season play-offs in Kingstone Press National Conference League division three after a 28-18 win over Batley Boys.

The game at Mount Pleasant Stadium was virtually all over as a contest in the first hour after the Villagers established a 28-0 lead.

It was not until the final 15 minutes that the hosts hit back with three tries, the last of which came in the closing seconds.

Heworth, playing down the famous slope, went in front on 17 minutes when scrum half Liam Jackson sent centre Gareth Watson racing away down the left flank. He found left winger Billy Sturdy and he crossed for a try. Stand-off Ben Dyson-Dent added the extras.

The Villagers were working hard in defence and their efforts were rewarded five minutes from the break when a fine cut out pass from Dyson-Dent put centre James Morland over in the right corner for an excellent score.

The stand-off slotted a fine touchline conversion for a 12-0 half time lead.

Batley, now with the slope in their favour, started the second period in determined mood but any thoughts of a comeback were quickly dispelled after only four minutes.

Some impressive handling led to right winger Adam Dent touching down wide out for an unconverted try.

Six minutes later with the Black and Whites were defending on their own line when an attempted grubber kick through by the hosts rebounded off the legs of second rower Fergus Chapman. He snapped up the loose ball and raced the full length of the field up the hill to touch down under the posts for Dyson-Dent to add the goal.

It got even better for Heworth on the hour mark when hooker Josh Poulter dived over direct from acting half back close to the line and Dyson- Dent's final conversion put them out of sight at 28-0.

With the game in the bag, the Villagers started to lose some cohesion and the home side took advantage to post three touchdowns in the final quarter of an hour through hooker Josh Knowles, prop Gavin Davis and in the closing seconds stand-off Adam Bingham.

All three tries were goaled by scrum-half Luke Sheridan, but it was too little too late.

Liam Jackson took the Villagers' man of the match award.

In the NCL Alliance League, Heworth 'A' went down 28-16 to Thornhill Trojans 'A' at Elmpark Way.

The Villagers' tries came from Joe Murphy, Tim Gargan, Jamie Price and Liam Sharples.

Chris Borwell was man of the match and under-18s player Harrison Wheatley made an outstanding debut.

In the Yorkshire Men's League premier division, New Earswick All Blacks beat visitors Nottingham Outlaws 36-16.