THE only significant movement on a rain-ravaged day in the Hunters York & District Senior Cricket League premier division came near the foot of the table as Sheriff Hutton Bridge put a little more distance between themselves and fellow strugglers Whitkirk.

Both sides are heading into the closing weeks of the season with the spectre of relegation hanging over them, but SHB had the better of this clash.

The match at Selby Road provided a tense finish despite the rain having intervened.

Openers Arthur Campion (46) and Paul Oldfield (49) got the visitors off to a strong start before both were dismissed by Sam Bateman, who would go on to finish with 4-34.

Harry Sutcliffe then guided the side to a total of 178-8 off 44 overs, remaining unbeaten on 33.

Mike Smith (4-24) responded to Bateman’s efforts accounting for the top four in the hosts’ line-up before Mark Murphy dug in with 45.

He eventually fell to Nadeem Shefta (2-38) but, despite two wickets late on from Sutcliffe, the home side held on closing on 162-9.

The latest round of fixtures on Saturday were the return matches of those scheduled for early June. The weather had the final say back then - and it was largely the same this time around.

The only match to reach a conclusion on that day was the top of the table clash at Kings Mill Road between Driffield Town and Acomb.

Fast forward nine weeks and the same pair are still locked in a battle for the title, but unfortunately only three overs were possible at The Green.

The hosts reached 10-1 before play in the long-awaited re-match was called off.

It was a similar story down the road at Clifton Park, York and Easingwold managing four overs before play was halted with the visitors on 16-0, while at Studley Royal visitors Beverley Town sent down just six balls before their game came to an abrupt end.

Further towards the coast, the sides involved at least got to enjoy a little more cricket, although that may not be the exact word Malton & Old Malton’s batsmen might have chosen to describe it.

The rain rescued them from the somewhat perilous position of 114-9 from 35 overs.

Folkton & Flixton’s Connor Stephenson took the first five wickets to fall, recording figures of 5-61 from 10 overs.

The visitors collapsed from 47-2 to 52-6, with Josh Berry (36) offering only partial resistance.

By way of a contrast, the 17 overs possible at the Recreation Ground went the way of the batting side visitors Hull Zingari scoring 84-1 against Pickering.

The second-wicket pairing of Jack Story (44no) and Laurence Wilkinson (26no) added 65 before their stand was curtailed by the weather.