York City 0, Farsley Celtic 0

YORK City were denied consecutive wins to start the new season after being held to a frustrating 0-0 draw at home to newly-promoted Farsley Celtic at Bootham Crescent.

After Saturday’s 3-1 victory at Altrincham, optimism was high among the home fans and York were big favourites with the bookmakers too.

But facing a Farsley side who’d won 10 of their last 11 matches was never going to be an easy task, as was proven.

York had enjoyed the best of the first-half chances, but never truly forced the Farsley backline into too much worry.

In second-half added time, Sean Newton hit the post, but barring that, it was Celtic who had enjoyed the better chances in the second period.

York were without injured striker Dan Maguire and it showed in their lack of a clinical edge going forward.

Maguire’s absence was York’s only change, with Kieran Green taking his place. Wes York moved onto the bench.

It meant a slight tweak in formation for York with Green moving into a five-man midfield, leaving Jordan Burrow and Alex Kempster as the two front.

Of course, Maguire has only played once for York, but his sharp movement off the field provided something different to that being offered by Burrow and Kemspter.

The latter did show glimpses of the livewire quality that Maguire possesses after turning past his full-back in the sixth minute before putting in a drilled cross for Kallum Griffiths, who was unable to turn it home.

Farsley goalkeeper Elliot Wynne was tested for the first time when Sean Newton whipped a free-kick into his arms a couple of minutes later.

Griffiths remained the dangerman for the Minstermen though and it was his delivery from the right flank which Wynne spilled, with Burrow unable to capitalise.

Opposite wing back David Ferguson almost provided City’s breakthrough as he had done on Saturday against Altrincham after seeing a deflected half-volley tipped over the bar.

To their credit, the newly-promoted Farsley dug in and, while always second-best, they controlled things as the match headed into the interval.

The visitors managed to silence Bootham Crescent, so much so that a ball boy successfully scrambling under the net to retrieve the ball received the opening 45 minutes’ loudest cheer.

Watson’s men did conjure a couple of late chances, however. Ferguson created both as he firstly floated a cross from which Griffiths tested Wynne.

Then, Ferguson picked out a brilliant switched pass to Joe Tait but he saw his effort blocked.

So goalless it remained as the teams went to the dressing rooms.

Just six minutes had gone before the first piece of genuine time-wasting from Farsley was witnessed.

It looked as if it were to set a trend for the reminder of the game, but Celtic had two glaring opportunities shortly after.

Former York winger Tyler Walton exchanged passes with Nathan Cartman, allowing Walton a shooting chance in the area.

He put the ball past keeper Jameson but Steve McNulty - making his 500th league appearance - was on hand to make the goal-line block.

Cartman was involved moments later when a long crossed free-kick fell into his path in the area from a flick-on, though Jameson pounced as he looked to strike home.

York had a couple of quick-fire chances of their own but they were increasingly wasteful each time.

Griffiths pinched a throw-in by Farsley before launching a cross-field pass straight into Burrow’s path. The striker drove into the penalty area but sliced the left-footed effort well wide.

Andy Bond then had a free-kick which went straight into the wall, falling back to him before he proceeded to send the ball out of the ground from the shot.

Little else came from York in the dying stages. As each City pass went astray, the groans from the home crowd got louder; as did the confidence of the visitors.

Farsley almost snatched the points when Jameson misplaced a pass, Luke Parkin snatched in before the keeper somehow saved as the substitute attempted to round him.

In the final minute, York almost secured a dream finale. Newton drove from defence and from 35 yards out let fly, striking the foot of a post and seeing the ball flash wide.

Perhaps justifiably, it was still goalless at the finish.

York City: Jameson 7, Griffiths 7, Ferguson 7, Newton 7, McNulty (C) 6, Tait 6, Moke 6, Bond 6 (McLaughlin 78, 5), Burrow 5 (York 73, 5), Green 5 (Langstaff 57, 5), Kempster 5. Subs not used: Whitley, Spratt.

Farsley Celtic: Wynne, Richards, Baldwin (Parkin 70’), Higgins, Ellis (C), Clayton, Walton, C Atkinson, Spencer, Cartman (B Atkinson 64), Hayhurst. Subs not used: Trenerry, Walker, Syers.

City man of the match: Kallum Griffiths - the rare bright spark for York with his attacking movement, particularly in the first half. Like David Ferguson, he looks at home at wing back.

Referee: Jonny Urwin.

Attendance: 2,938.

Yellow cards: Clayton (80), Griffiths (90).