ONLY four matches were scheduled for the opening day of the Hunters York & District Senior League two of which were called off and a third lasted just 11 overs as the season got off to a decidedly damp start.

No play was possible at Whitkirk where Folkton & Flixton were the visitors, and it was a similar story at Kings Mill Road where former Premier League foes Driffield Town and Easingwold were due to meet.

Hull Zingari’s Jahangir Alam narrowly missed out on becoming the season’s first centurion when he was dismissed for 97, his efforts and those of Nathan Johnson with an unbeaten 47 helped the home side reach 219-6. James Clarkson (3-38) picked up three wickets for visitors Studley Royal who were denied the chance to respond when the rain closed in.

Neither Sheriff Hutton Bridge, who were promoted, nor Acomb, who were relegated featured in the division last season and both where left frustrated the playing time at Moor Farm restricted to less than an hour, visiting skipper Matthew Dale making the most of his time in middle scoring 26 of his side's total of 32-1.

Newly-promoted Woodhouse Grange made a dream start to life in York & District Senior League Division One with a four-wicket win at home to Heworth.

Mathew Shepherd finished with figures of 5-28 as the visitors were restricted to 148-9 despite a battling half-century from Jack Wilkinson (54). The hosts reply was spearheaded by Rob Daniel (31) and Tom Stubley (30) as the Ebor champions picked up maximum points.

Nick Hindle’s unbeaten half-century put another of the promoted sides, Clifton Alliance, on top at home to Bolton Percy.

Hayden Bradley, having moved to Clifton Park from Easingwold over the winter, chipped in with 35 as the hosts reached 126-2 before the players were forced off the field by persistent rain.

All three wickets to fall at Aspin Lane went to visiting Driffield Town bowler Tom Hudson (3-48), after Andy Ward (30) had given hosts Knaresborough an early boost and with Dave Girling at the crease unbeaten on 44 when play was abandoned with the score on 113-3 the game was nicely balanced.

The matches between Dringhouses and Harrogate, Goole Town and Carlton Towers and Welton’s visit to Hornsea where all called off in the early stages on a hugely frustrating afternoon for players and spectators alike.