LEEDS United winger Jack Clarke is "responsive" in hospital after being taken ill during his side's 1-1 Sky Bet Championship draw at Middlesbrough.

The 18-year-old, who had been substituted at half-time, complained of feeling unwell in the dugout and was then carried away on a stretcher while being given oxygen.

Leeds said in a statement: "Jack Clarke began to feel unwell during the second half of our Sky Bet Championship fixture with Middlesbrough and received medical attention.

"The player is responsive and attending hospital with the club's head of medicine and performance.

"On behalf of everyone at Leeds United, we would like to thank the medical staff from both clubs for their response to the incident."

After the lengthy delay, Leeds went on to score a last-gasp equaliser in the 12 minutes of stoppage time, and manager Marcelo Bielsa revealed after the game that the player had shown signs of improvement.

Bielsa said: "What we know is that he didn't feel well. We don't know the reasons yet, but when he was taken to the dressing room he was feeling better.

"He has been taken to hospital to see if he's alright."

Middlesbrough boss Tony Pulis said the disappointment of conceding a late equaliser paled into insignificance when compared to his concerns for Clarke.

Pulis said: "The more important thing is making sure the boy, fingers crossed, is OK and recovers because he is a very, very talented young player.

"All of our thoughts from Middlesbrough Football Club go to the lad Clarke."

Bielsa felt Leeds created enough chances to win at Middlesbrough after a late goal from Kalvin Phillips snatched a draw at the Riverside Stadium.

Phillips was on hand in the six-yard box to head over the line in the 11th minute of added time.

The game was stopped for seven minutes and led to referee Darren England asking for 12 extra minutes beyond the 90 when Middlesbrough led through Lewis Wing's opener soon after half-time.

And it was at the end of stoppage-time when Leeds midfielder Phillips was in the right place to head his side level - and lift Bielsa's team back to the top of the Championship.

Bielsa added: "The opponent was dangerous in the first half but at the end of the first half and the second half was good. We could have won the game.

"If we take into account the 15 minutes in the first half when we were not at ease, apart from this we dominated the game. We deserved to score that goal and we probably deserved to score more goals."

Middlesbrough manager Tony Pulis was left frustrated by the manner of the result, even though he was also pleased to see his side recover from the midweek disappointment of losing at Newport in the FA Cup.

Had Middlesbrough held on then they would have climbed to within four points of the top two and beaten both Leeds and West Brom in the space of seven days, but they at least head to Sheffield United on Wednesday with four points from those two matches.