THE advantage in the York Minster Engineering League premier division title race swung firmly into Old Malton St Mary's favour as title rivals Huntington Rovers suffered a shock 3-1 defeat to relegation-threatened Copmanthorpe.

The result leaves long-time leaders Rovers four points behind St Mary's with the table-toppers also having a game in hand on the North Lane side.

Copmanthorpe, who have recently put together a string of good performances to remove themselves from the drop zone, came flying out of the blocks at Huntington and dominated the first half of play.

Ben Jones, Nick Hutchinson and Tom Paley all found the net to give the visitors a 3-0 lead, and, despite a goal from Danny Gray before the break, Huntington could never get a foothold in the game.

The second half saw both teams create chances but neither could get the ball in the net leaving a result that could have huge implications at both ends of the table.

Old Malton, meanwhile, had no such problems, even though they faced a potential banana skin at home to in-form Church Fenton.

A commanding performance saw the hosts run out 9-2 winners and put themselves well in command with just seven games left to play.

Jack Simpson hit a hat-trick in the win with Dean Nuttall (2), Darren Dunning, Damon Cox, Marcus Godsell and Steve Baxter also getting in on the act.

Third-placed Dringhouses, who on their day are one of the best footballing teams in the league, again suffered from inconsistency, this time at a fired-up Kirkbymoorside.

Despite a Sam Drake effort, Houses were always second best in the game and suffered a 3-1 setback thanks to Kirkby goals from Dave Wilkinson on 37 minutes, Keelan Simpson on 44 and Dan Marshall on 54.

Dunnington moved level on points with Dringhouses following a 3-2 success at Hemingbrough United.

Bottom side Osbaldwick stretched their unbeaten run to four games with a 2-2 draw at home to Thorpe United.

Paul Moran gave the Selby side the lead before Harry Cartledge fired an equaliser just before the break.

Some good play from Jack Rimmell resulted in a tap-in for Nick Lowe as Osso took the lead with 20 minutes to play but, eyeing three vital points, they were hit with a sucker punch when Matthew Howden popped up to level with time running out.

F1 Racing went ahead from the spot in their game with Sporting Knavesmire, Adam Tiffany hitting the opener.

A second effort from Dan Hickey sealed a 2-0 victory while increasing the Poppleton-based side's relegation fears in the process.

Wigginton Grasshoppers collected their first league win since mid-December with a 6-0 success over Poppleton United.

Mike Byram ran the show, collecting five assists in the game as Matthew Tiplady (2), Gary Newton, Jamie Green, Jamie Willstrop and Eddy Clapham all found the target.

THE match of the day in division one was between promotion-chasing Strensall Tigers and Easingwold Town with the visitors emerging with a 7-5 win after an incident-packed 90 minutes.

In a game that saw Strensall keeper Tom Wood shown a straight red card, it was Easingwold's Joe Crosby who was the standout performer, scoring two and creating several others to help his side claim the spoils.

Josh Cryer bagged four goals in the win, with Tom Rushworth also making the scoresheet.

Kieran Flanagan (2), Jack Bell, Gareth Hirst and Jason Heslop netted for Strensall.

Pocklington Town maintained their eight-point lead at the top of the table with a 1-0 win at Malton & Norton.

Rawcliffe's promotion push continued as two second-half efforts from Niall Smallwood salvaged them three points from their game at Haxby, overturning Dan Clipson's first-half effort.

Rawcliffe were thankful to James Ellerby whose excellent defensive performance kept Haxby at bay on several occasions.

Tockwith's premier league ambitions were knocked back as two goals from Harry Brigham and a Luke Durham strike consigned them to a 3-1 loss at Riccall United.

Basement side Bishopthorpe United scored a remarkable 7-0 success at Cliffe. Meanwhile, there was a case of deja vu at Harrison Signs as James Dunwoody struck from 40 yards and Neil Maguire netted a free-kick - repeating their feats from the previous week. Signs gained a 2-1 success at home to Heworth.

DANNY CATES struck the only goal of the game as division two leaders Rufforth United kept up the gallop at the top of the table with a 1-0 success over Clifford.

The Beagle remain a point behind following a 3-1 triumph at Civil Service. Cal Hannigan struck twice and, while Alex Day reduced the deficit in the second period, Jamie Kilby sealed victory.

Third-placed Stamford Bridge racked up their fifth draw of the season with a a 3-3 share-all at Malt Shovel. Terry Taylor, Adam Harrison and Nathan Spreckley were on target for the visitors.

Pollington and Barmby Moor drew 2-2. Brian Robertson and Sam Bate struck for the hosts with Josh Robinson and Will Nicholson netting for Moor. Cawood defeated Wilberfoss 7-2.

HESLINGTON climbed to the summit of division three on goal-difference following an 8-3 success over LNER Builders. Russ Carr hit four goals with Rob Corker, Chris Asquith, Johnny Adlington and Alex Clark also netting.

Wheldrake slipped to second following a 3-1 loss at Wombleton Wanderers, a team who have two games in hand on both of the top two and are now just two points behind.

Mike Whiteley and Ellis Turbine hit doubles in Walnut Tree's 5-3 success over Swinton. Danny Holmes hit the fifth for the hosts, who occupy fourth spot in the table.

Mark Jackson bagged a hat-trick for Helperby as they beat Stillington 6-0. James Mannion, James Buchanan and Steve Walkington also netted.

Shane Bogg (2), Lee Johnson and Liam Kettlewell scored in Crayke United's 4-4 share-all with Fulford United. Jack Spofforth (2), Jonny Scott and Tom Wordsworth were the Fulford marksmen.

DUNNINGTON Reserves took a massive step towards regaining the reserve 'A' title following their 2-1 defeat of Huntington Rovers.

Roberto Rubira gave the hosts a two-goal cushion before Lee Bunce bagged a consolation for the visitors.

Aaron Tiplady (2) and Dan Mustill kept Thorpe United within touching distance of the leaders, firing their side to a 3-2 win over Easingwold Town.

Thorpe have two games in hand on Dunnington and lie six points behind, with the sides scheduled to meet in a fortnight's time.

A spectacular 30-yard strike from Jack Coates and a sublime effort from Tom Pepper gave Wigginton Grasshoppers a 2-1 success over Poppleton United. Old Malton St Mary's made light work of Church Fenton, thrashing them 9-1.

A hat-trick from Ritchie Hemingway did little to cheer F1 Racing as they fell to an 8-3 defeat at reserve 'B' pacesetters Dringhouses. Danny Penrose and Joe Rawcliffe both hit hat-tricks at the other end, with an own goal supplementing a further effort from Jordan Outerbridge for the victors.

Tockwith's promotion hopes stuttered as they threw away a two-goal lead to surrender the points to Malt Shovel. Jim Drew struck twice for the hosts before they fell to a 3-2 loss.

Malton & Norton sit a point behind Tockwith following a 4-1 victory at Bishopthorpe United.

Lee Bannister, Brad Urquhart and Kieron Nelson fired Copmanthorpe to a 3-2 victory over Stamford Bridge. Greg Nesbitt and Mike Smith struck for the home side.

Kion Parr and Marlon Bentley both hit trebles as Tadcaster Magnets gained a 6-3 success at Wilberfoss.

Harrison Signs collected a 2-1 win over Wheldrake in reserve 'C', while Sporting Knavesmire defeated Fulford 3-1, Josh Powell getting the consolation.

Heworth raced into a 3-0 lead at Civil Service after just 15 minutes, finally winning 4-2. Nathan Harland and Carl Slater struck the home side's goals.