YORK RUFC bounced back to winning ways in North One East after three games without a victory courtesy of a 25-17 success at Bridlington.

The trip over the Wolds to Dukes Park on a cold, wet and miserable day was not a heartening one but the result lifted York back to third and on the coattails of top two Huddersfield YMCA and Scarborough.

Next up is a home derby against Pocklington on Saturday which could prove key for both sides at either end of the table.

The Clifton Parkers welcomed back Daz Rutherford, Rob Hodges, Luke Stockton and Sam Potrykus against Bridlington, the first three from injury, and introduced new hooker Evan Woodworth. However, nothing in the first 15 minutes suggested an upturn in fortunes as Brid camped in the visitors' half.

Just when it seemed the pressure was easing on dogged York defence, a clearing kick was charged down and a converted try was the result.

The restart took York into the Brid half for the first time and there followed some good driving play, spoiled only by two knock-ons. Brid nevertheless were penalised in front of the posts and Jon Dawes narrowed the deficit to 7-3.

This score marked a turning point and, with Liam Hessay beginning to control play with some astute tactical kicking, Brid came under pressure.

Following one chip through, and a fumble by the defence, York winger Rob Hodges swooped to touch down, Dawes converting well.

York secured the ball again and cleared to touch but, having won the resultant lineout, they were penalised for an infringement on the ground and Brid levelled the score from good distance.

Campbell Thomson departed due to dislocated fingers but soon returned to carry on his immense tackling duties.

Play for the remainder of the half became scrappy with the wet conditions not conducive to good handling, but York were beginning to exert a dominance in the lineouts while holding their own in the scrums.

Dual-code scrum-half Nick Speck - the recruit from York Acorn ARLC who was standing in for Toby Atkin - was also beginning to warm to the task and create uncertainty among the Brid back row.

The second half started with York exerting pressure. The backs began to show their pace and skills and Hessay continued to find touch with some great tactical kicks.

Dawes regained the lead with a penalty and, although the restart took play into York’s half, the respite for the hosts was only temporary as Hessay soon directed play to the other end.

Steve Johnson and Harry Taylor were introduced by York for Daz Rutherford and Rob Hodges and the pressure ramped up.

York’s scrummage now had the edge on a tiring Brid eight and, with a secure lineout, the rise in confidence was evident.

An overthrow at the lineout was recovered and swept down the York threequarters for George Davies to feed youngster Taylor, who with a couple of shimmies cut inside to score a superb try. Dawes converted for a 20-10 lead.

For perhaps the first time this season, York controlled the game tactically via stand-off Hessay and play continued in the Brid half.

With about five minutes to go, the result became safe as a scrum five metres out saw number eight Shane Goulding cross near the corner.

York eyed a bonus point try but their keenness saw them concede a scrum penalty. This took play into York’s half, where unruly maul followed unruly maul before Brid slid through for a converted try with the last move of the game.

* SELBY lost 22-17 at home to lowly Old Rishworthians in Yorkshire One to leave them looking over their shoulder in 10th place ahead of Saturday's trip to mid-table Beverley.