A STOPPAGE time penalty save from stand-in keeper James Hodges ensured that Tadcaster Albion stayed above Yorkshire rivals Brighouse after a thrilling 2-2 draw at the i2i Stadium.

The visitors, who sit level on points with The Brewers, pegged their opponents back twice in a titanic tussle between two Evo-Stik East Division promotion challengers.

Hodges was the only change from last week's win at Spalding, deputising in goal for captain Michael Ingham, who had a dislocated thumb.

Brighouse started the brighter, with Paddy Miller and his fellow defenders having to be on top form in the first ten minutes.

The contest sparked into life on 11 minutes when an overzealous challenge from Jack Walters led to a large confrontation.

Walters' follow-through was what caused the consternation, but after referee Leo Howard was berated by both teams, only a yellow card was brandished.

Order was quickly restored and Taddy struck first with a marvellous team move.

Joe Lumsden set Casey Stewart running clear. He returned it back to the number nine, who unselfishly squared to Billy Whitehouse, whose side-footed effort went through the legs of Jordan Porter.

Five minutes later, Porter made a vital save from Lumsden's one on one, which proved crucial as the visitors equalised on the half hour mark.

A clever reverse flick from Mohammed Ibrahim set Aaron Martin bursting into Albion’s box and he dinked it over the advancing Hodges.

It was almost a quick-fire double for Brighouse. Hodges missed his clearance and Ibrahim audaciously hooked goalwards from the touchline. Fortunately for Taddy, Harry Coates was there to head over.

With the half drawing to a close, Whitehouse could have put his side in front but he blasted a good opportunity over the bar from the edge of the area.

The final noteworthy moment of the half fell to Town though, as Ibrahim miscued his shot after Rhys Jenkinson pulled back.

Taddy were looking to regain the lead in the second half, with Lumsden just miscontrolling when through on goal.

One of the most interesting battles on the park was Albion's Coates against Brighouse's Martin.

Both giants were constantly coming together in the air but it was young Coates who edged it, winning countless important headers.

Tadcaster grabbed the lead for a second time on 65 minutes. Billy Whitehouse blocked James Hurtley’s clearance, which allowed Lumsden to be played clean through before sliding the ball home.

The hosts looked increasingly likely to net a third with Stewart firing into the side-netting and Whitehouse putting a glorious chance off target when Lumsden was better placed in the middle.

They came close again when Pete Davidson’s blast was cleared off the line before Chris Howarth’s follow-up was blocked.

These missed chances came back to haunt Albion as Martin teed up Zeph Thomas, who lashed into the back of the net with ten minutes remaining.

It reignited serious belief into the away side. Martin headed over a glorious chance at the back post before Walters' rash challenge gifted the visitors a last-gasp penalty kick.

Hodges was the hero, making a terrific save down low to his left to deny substitute Jack Normanton and ensure Taddy left with a point.