SELBY Town put in a sterling second-half performance in the West Riding County Cup second round to see off Huddersfield Town Under-19s last night.

Last year's beaten finalists, Selby found themselves two goals down at the break but ended normal time at 2-2 thanks finishes from Liam Flanagan and Sam Cable before going on to win 5-4 on penalties.

The Robins made a few changes from the side that lost 3-1 at home to Winterton Rangers in the league last Saturday, with Reuben Pearse coming in at right back and Alex Robinson back on the left while Tom Gore made a first start in midfield.

Joe Dale set the tone for a cut-and-thrust attacking first half, nearly embarrassing Huddersfield keeper Luke Mewitt in the first minute. The young Terriers side, meanwhile, showed some classy touches, as would be expected from budding young professionals.

Darnell Mintus was a skilful handful, and he gave Huddersfield the lead 10 minutes in, bringing the ball under control in the area, neatly working himself into space and planting low to keeper Peter Lawrie's right.

Another piece of quality, this time from centre-forward Kit Elliott, gave Huddersfield their second, receiving a quick ball forward from an interception in midfield and, avoiding the close attentions of Liam Neal, working the space to finish beyond Lawrie.

Selby were, though, competitive in the first half, putting on a good deal of pressure, but they were not able find a way beyond a resolute Huddersfield back line, while the Robins' numerous set pieces came to nothing.

The Robins' best chance of the half fell to Liam Flanagan, who sent a snap shot straight at Mewitt, who gratefully snaffled the ball at the second attempt.

Selby made three changes in the second half, with Jordan Snodin, Zac Lawrence and Josh Berry coming on.

Suddenly, Selby’s forwards started looking dangerous, getting better service, and were causing the Terriers back line more problems as a result.

And eventually, the threatened Selby goal arrived as a good ball over the top sent Flanagan through on goal, slipping the ball past the Terriers keeper.

Cable was looking a real threat and he was bundled over in the area by Mewitt and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot, but Flanagan’s penalty was too close to Mewitt, who saved.

But Cable was not to be denied, and he swept the ball home in the 72nd minute to level the tie.

He might even have given Selby the lead, but he snatched at his shot and sent it wide when he had enough time to steady himself before shooting.

As both sides went for the winner, Huddersfield came the closest, picking up the ball lost by Selby in midfield and working it into the box. The shot beat Lawrie but hit the inside of the post and bounced out for Pearse to clear the danger.

With virtually the last action before the final whistle, a Huddersfield header flashed just the wrong side of the post and the game went straight to penalties.

Selby won the toss, and captain Ryan Gothard settled Selby nerves with a good penalty. Huddersfield missed their first before Mewitt saved from Jordan Snodin to restore parity.

Youngsters Josh Berry and Zac Lawrence netted, alongside Flanagan as sudden death penalties arrived.

Chris Bilton netted Selby’s next and Lawrie saved the next Huddersfield penalty to send the Robins in the third round.

Selby: Lawrie, Pearse, Robinson, Clamp, Gothard, Neal, Cable, Gore, Flanagan, Bilton, Dale. Subs: Lawrence, Berry, Woodhead, Snodin.

Huddersfield: Mewitt, Gibson, O’Malley, Spratt, Olagunju, Bell, Ijiwole, Headley, Elliott, Danaher, Mintus. Subs: Austerfield, Bellagambi, Meeson, Harratt, Sharrock-Peplow.