F1 RACING proved that their recent victory over title-contenders Huntington Rovers was no flash in the pan as a great team performance saw them overcome York Minster Engineering League premier division leaders Old Malton St Mary’s 2-0.

A closely-fought first-half ended goalless but a foul on substitute Chris Dempsey in the 60th minute resulted in a spot-kick which Adam Tiffany stepped up to fire home.

Dempsey then scored a fantastic second goal with 15 minutes remaining and, despite the game getting niggly in the closing stages, F1 closed the game out to take all three points and make it two consecutive victories over the league’s top two in their last couple of games.

Huntington Rovers took advantage of Old Malton’s misery, after a 2-1 win at home to Kirkbymoorside saw them move three points clear at the top of the league.

Ash Hope put the hosts in front midway through the first half only for the visitors to equalise.

Steve Jarman then netted Rovers’ second late in the half following a penalty-area scramble to make it 2-1 at the interval.

There were no further goals in the second half as the home side squandered a hatful of chances before stand-in keeper James Edmond made a great late save to deny Kirkbymoorside an equaliser at the death.

Wigginton Grasshoppers remain third after coming from behind to register a 4-1 success at Dunnington.

Samson Wildwood took just four minutes to place a low shot into the bottom corner of Wiggy’s goal before Matt Tiplady produced a similar finish to draw the sides level in the eighth minute.

Wiggy then took the lead just a few minutes later when Steve Jarvis was felled in the area, with Neale Holmes stepping up to slot the penalty kick into the bottom-right hand corner of the goal.

The score remained the same until the first minute of the second half when Jamie Willstrop chipped a perfect ball into the path of Eddy Clapham, with the winger smashing the ball into the roof of the net.

Just two minutes later, Willstrop, playing in his 200th first-team game for Wigginton, finished off a great team move to make it 4-1 and secure the points for his side.

Dringhouses sit fourth following a 9-1 demolition of Osbaldwick.

Sam Drake, Jordan Outerbridge, James Green, Liam Robertson (2), Matthew Mulhearn, Sam Lake, Sam Backhouse and Rob Hutton fired the home side to victory with Ali Harvey hitting a consolation for Osso.

Church Fenton scored the only goal of the game to leave Sporting Knavesmire with the points, while Poppleton United gained a 3-2 success over Copmanthorpe.

York Minster Engineering League’s representative squad return to action tomorrow night, meanwhile, when they face the Scarborough District League at Scarborough Sports Village at 7.30pm.

The reps team, managed by Chris Smith and Simon Wood, will feature many of the players from their successful run to the final of the FA National League Cup last season and all support is welcome.

Seven different clubs have players in the squad with reigning league champions Wigginton and current table-toppers Huntington boasting the most players, with four apiece.

Dringhouses, Church Fenton and Old Malton St Mary’s have all had two players selected, while Copmanthorpe and Osbaldwick have one representative each.

The full squad is: Michael Clancy (Wigginton), Sam Pepper (Huntington), Cam Sanderson (Dringhouses), Matt Pallister (Copmanthorpe), Chaz Wrigley (Church Fenton), Dale Holding (Wigginton), Damon Cox (Old Malton St Mary’s), Scott Nicholas (Church Fenton), Jake Duckworth (Wigginton), Jonny Bullivant (Huntington), Jamie Willstrop (Wigginton), Alex Burton (Huntington), Chris Dyson (Huntington), Dan Davison (Osbaldwick), Matthew Mulhearn (Dringhouses), Jack Simpson (Old Malton St Mary’s)