TADCASTER Albion progressed to the second round of the West Riding County Cup with a 3-1 home win over Eccleshill United.

Goals from Billy Whitehouse, Lamin Colley and Casey Stewart saw the Brewers claim their third consecutive win in all competitions.

There was concern for Northern Counties East League premier outfit Eccleshill's young winger and goalscorer Jake Thompson, whose back injury caused a lengthy delay, but his club have since reported him up and walking.

The higher-ranked Albion made a positive start at the i2i Stadium with both Aiden Savory and Whitehouse having efforts on goal before Taddy were gifted a 20th-minute penalty kick when Eagles skipper Sam Bradley was adjudged to have brought down Aiden Savory after Casey Stewart had slid the number nine through. Not only was the contact minimal, but the challenge was a good few foot outside the area.

Nevertheless, Whitehouse stepped up to net his fifth of the season, confidently dispatching after sending the keeper the wrong.

Eccleshill deserve for the application they showed, and the contest was level five minutes later as Jack Walters could not get a strong enough touch on Thomas Rose’s raking ball forward, allowing Jake Thompson in behind to compose himself and side-foot in.

Casey Stewart was causing the visiting defence problems and almost restored his side’s lead minutes later after jinking into the penalty area, but keeper Dominic Smith was equal to it. Colley then fired over from four yards.

But he soon made amends as he restored Albion’s lead on 37 minutes as another tricky, jinking run from Stewart was finished with Colley instinctively turning in his fizzed cross.

Taddy looked to kill the game off at the start of the second half, and they should have had some breathing space two minutes in when Colley’s delayed shot was blocked by Andrew Cooper and Whitehouse’s follow-up effort was sliced wide.

The build-up and approach play was very good from Collins’ side but the cutting edge in the final third was not quite there, as Stewart this time nonchalantly scooped over from six yards out.

Eccleshill continued to look lively and Levi Maturine sprung up behind only for his rushed attempt to be sent straight into the arms of keeper Michael Ingham.

With the second half only 10 minutes old, the game was brought to an abrupt halt as 19-year-old Thompson dropped to the floor, off the ball, in serious pain and was stretchered off following an 11-minute stoppage.

As both sides tried to get back up to speed, towering forward Chris Lever sprung the offside trap but again the finish was a poor one and straight at Ingham.

And the Brewers eventually added a third goal as the clock reached the 11th minute of added time, as Ellis Barkworth took over from Whitehouse on a storming overlapping run down the right before pulling back to an unmarked Stewart who was not going to miss from close range.

Elsewhere in the West Riding County Cup, Harrogate Railway Athletic were beaten 5-0 at home by Yorkshire Amateur.

Evo-Stik League premier division leaders Scarborough Athletic left it late to beat Stalybridge Celtic, with Michael Coulson netting the vital 91st-minute penalty in a 3-2 win.