BEVERLEY Town's second team are celebrating being crowned as Hunters York & District Senior League Division One Champions, completing a remarkable turnaround in fortunes for the side.

They only found out they would be competing in the second tier a few weeks prior to the start of the season when the merger of two Hull-based sides saved them from relegation.

Their match at home to Ripon was the only one to see any action as rain ruined the climax of an enthralling title race.

The visitors' leading run scorer Rob Taylor (51) signed off with a half-century out of a total of 125, which included 37 from Andrew Lincoln.

The stand out performance came from Town’s Joey Franklin though, who finished with stunning figures of 6-18. James Emery played a strong supporting role with 3-23 and the home side had reached 22-1 in reply when the game was called off.

No play was possible in any of the other fixtures and as a result, long-time leaders Sheriff Hutton Bridge secured back-to-back promotions by claiming second place.

Having spent the entire season in the top two, no-one can deny their claim to the runners-up spot, but spare a thought for poor Carlton Towers.

They spent the early part of the season languishing in the relegation zone, before an extraordinary reversal in their fortunes provided the competition with a genuine three horse race over the closing month and a half.

Sadly, the final day washout denied them the opportunity to mount one final challenge.

There was also a damp end to the Hunters York & District Premier Division season, with play possible in only one of the six fixtures on the final day.

Thankfully all the main business of the season had been concluded the previous week. Dunnington secured the title and a return to the Premier League, while Bolton Percy and Driffield Town were already confirmed as the sides to be relegated.

Beverley Town's first team already knew they would be joining Dunnington in the top flight next season, but only as a result of second-placed York’s ineligibility for promotion.

Nick Kay’s side secured the runners-up spot when no play was possible in their match at Malton.

Finally, Pickering’s Recreation Ground escaped the weather long enough for the home side to send down 11 overs at visitors Driffield Town, who reached 51-2 before conditions got too bad for play to continue.