Division one

IT is all to play for in the chase for the Foss Evening League title as Bubwith lost the outright lead after being beaten in a last-over thriller by Dunnington Academy.

Bubwith and Osbaldwick are now locked together on 25 points at the top of the table with three games remaining.

Jack Spofforth was the star of Dunnington’s surprise victory, taking four wickets as Bubwith were restricted to 107-9 off 18 overs. Charlie Lambert (22), James Tait (23) and Mark Holmes (21) were the only scorers of note.

Dunnington got off to a quick start with Spofforth (40no), Josh Archer (21) and Alex Wilson (20) moving the score on. Dunnington needed eight off the last over and were going at a run a ball until Spofforth hit a four from the penultimate delivery to win the match.

Osbaldwick got off to a great start against Wellington with Tom Young and Matt Senior tearing the opening bowling apart and were 50-0 after six overs when Young was caught on the boundary for 34.

Senior (19) went soon after and Osso’s run rate slowed down thanks to good bowling by Jack Doyle (3-19), Connor Sanderson (3-19) and Matthew Hornby (2-17). Sanderson’s figures included a brilliant one-handed caught and bowled. It needed a rapid 22 from Andy Horner to see the total to 121-9.

Wellington’s batsmen got off to a slow start with Horner removing Rich Exley cheaply. A few dropped catches ensured Sal Syed (19) and Jack Doyle (31) made a game of it with a partnership of 46. Both departed in successive Young overs, the bowler clinging on to a great return catch to dismiss Doyle. Man-of-the-match Young picked up three more wickets in the next two overs to finish with 5-4 as Wellington slid to 77-7. Some big blows from Ben Lodge (26no) were not enough to take Wellington close.

Woodhouse Grange began quickly at Yapham. Matty Ainley scored a rapid 48 in a second-wicket partnership of 93 with Jonty Goddard, who finished unbeaten on 85 as Grange totalled 163-3 at the end of the innings. Yapham never got going in their innings and never looked like reaching the target. Shaun Duncan (34) batted well, along with a quickfire 25 from Tom Binns, but Yapham were restricted to 107-4.

Heworth’s openers got off to a flier against York with Rob Carlill (56) tucking in to some ordinary bowling as the Clifton park side shared the 18 overs between eight options. Carlill was well supported by Chris Barratt (34) and Will Rymer (26). York closed out well and what could have been a huge score was curtailed to 160-7.

York struggled to 102-9 in reply with Kal Ahmed (24) the only highlight. Tight early bowling by Freddie Coughlin (1-14) and Kewell Ford (1-10) meant the chase was never on and the change bowlers Lee Ford (3-7) and Tom Francis (2-22) forced home the advantage.

Division two

BARMBY Moor pulled off a brilliant comeback to narrow the gap on leaders Middleton & North Dalton.

On a difficult pitch, Barmby posted a respectable 97-6 with key contributions from Sam Appleton (25) and Pete Massie (23).

M&ND looked to be cruising to victory at 49-1 after six overs with Dave Brent (23) and Shaun Tate (19) in full flow. Some terrific bowling from Olly Brown (3-9) and young James Cameron strangled the innings and M&ND lost by 11 runs as Moor reduced their lead at the top to two points.

A brilliant piece of fielding by George Batey earned Woodhouse Grange a last-ball win against Aviva Vikings. Aviva needed five to win from the final delivery but were denied a six by Batey who threw his body in the air, caught the ball and threw it back onto the pitch before fizzing the ball in to run out Nasir.

Earlier, Grange made a solid start batting on a flat wicket with the under-15s' Ted Baty (64no) and Dan Tingle (32) leading the way towards a total of 155-3, Mike Burdett being run out with the final ball for 24. Imran Hassan (1-16 from four overs) was Vikings' best bowler.

Kanhu Charan Patnayak (41) and Qudrat Azizi (26) made an aggressive start before wickets started to fall regularly thanks to some brilliant catching, with Batey (5-18) the main beneficiary. G Ali (26) held the middle order together to leave Aviva needing 12 to win off the last over, only to be denied by Batey’s spectacular intervention.

Dunnington Colts powered their way to 178-1 against a depleted Tang Hall Tigers. Steve Jackson hit an impressive 75 not out as he and James Crichton (48) cashed in on a number of dropped catches to race to 120 after just 10 overs. Harry Paver (48no) continued to punish the bowling and loose fielding.

Tigers were in deep trouble at 5-3 and it took a seventh-wicket stand between Reece Blake (18) and Stuart Jones (23) to get them anywhere near a respectable score. Jordan Richardson (3-18) shone with the ball as Tang Hall were bowled out for 89.

Division three

OVINGTON’S top order struggled to impose themselves on the Heworth opening bowlers and were three wickets down by the seventh over with only 22 runs on the board.

Alfie Oliver (2-12) and Raul Patel (1-16) were the players to do the damage but Foss Evening League debutant Matthew Spooner kick-started Ovington's innings with a well-made 40 before being run out. Finn Baqai added a valuable 18 runs before suffering the same fate.

Needing 103 to win, Heworth’s reply never got traction as Benji Busby (2-14) and Dick Buckley combined to restrict Heworth to only 22 runs from eight overs. Baqai made a great return with the ball by posting figures of 2-5 from four overs, which included a maiden. Baqai combined with Charlie Buckley (2-11) to apply further pressure to the home side before skipper Jed Fowke picked up the last wicket to secure victory by 50 runs as Heworth slumped to 53 all out.

Pocklington beat nine-man Stillingfleet to move within two points of Thixendale, who were without a game, at the top. Stillingfleet scored 117-4 in 18 overs mainly due to opener Pete Corfield’s 48. Pocklington won by seven wickets in the 16th over thanks to a big unbroken partnership between Ted Donkin (67no) and Dan Croft (51no).

Divison four

BOLTON Percy came out on top in a low-scoring game between the top two at Londesborough Park.

BP batted first on a used track, with the openers putting on 44 for the first wicket before Matthew Howden was dismissed for 15 by Scott Hardwick. Matthew Riley top scored with 27 but five wickets fell for less than 20 runs until Sammy Clews (26) pushed the total to a modest 109-9. James Beevers took 3-25.

Park had a great start to their reply, as their openers, particularly Beevers (30), moved rapidly to 40 before the first wicket fell. Once Greg Drewery was dismissed, the remaining nine wickets saw only 11 more runs come off the bat as Park were bowled out for 79. Tom Anderson (4-12) and Isaac Green (3-21) were the men who created havoc as Bolton Percy won by 30 runs.

Aviva Vikings II recovered from 22-4 off eight overs to total 91-4 off 16 against Stamford Bridge. Siddarth Elango top scored with 35 not out off 26 balls, supported by Scott Haigh’s unbeaten 29 from 19 deliveries. Matt Beckett was the pick of the bowlers only conceding runs off three overs and claiming a wicket, while Charlie Wilson took 2-18

Bridge made a brisk start to their reply which started rapidly with Andrew Healey rattling up an 18-ball 28. Vikings hit back and, after eight overs, Bridge were 43-3 but the steady hand of Rob Gilyeat (25no) saw SB home by six wickets with four balls to spare.