THIXENDALE’S batsmen put Wheldrake to the sword in the first round of the York Vale Cricket League’s HPH Cup, amassing 281-5 from their 40 overs.

The runs were spread around through Joe Robinson (60), Les Milburn (59), Karl Wallis (42no) and Ed Simpson (31) as Wheldrake’s decision to bowl first backfired.

Dave Fearn and Dave Wilson did keep it tight early on with just 28 coming from the opening 10 overs but after that all the Wheldrake bowlers came in for punishment.

Wheldrake were bowled out for 149 in reply. Simon Taylor, aided by a runner, top-scored with 39 and 13-year-old Jack Wilson offered some resistance with 22. Miles Flather took 4-34, including the scalp of in-form Martin Lambert, and Ray Walker snaffled 3-4 from five overs.

Division two side Thorpe Willoughby were soundly beaten by top-flight Clifton Alliance by seven wickets.

Only three Thorpe batsmen reached double figures as they were shot out for 71. Mark Mellor did the most damage with 4-16, with wicketkeeper Alistair Wray taking three good catches. Thorpe opening bowler Rich Taylor returned from a long injury lay-off to return 2-25 but Clifton eased home.

Melbourne’s fielders took the six chances which came their way as they restricted Stamford Bridge to 139-8.

Rob Gilyeat occupied the crease for 29 overs for his 43, but apart from an unbeaten 39 by James Patrick, only one other batsman made double figures. Melbourne’s six bowlers were all economical with Robin Miller (3-31) the most successful.

When Melbourne batted, Martin Veysey caused problems with figures of 10-7-15-0 but the Bridge fielders let a few catches escape and Melbourne won in 32.3 overs.

At one stage Melbourne were 65-3 but an unbroken 79-run partnership between Tim Blackmore (41no) and Oliver Steels (45no) but the game to bed.

A devastating spell by South Cave & Brantingham’s Ben Scorah saw Stockton & Hopgrove bowled out for a paltry 39.

He took 5-9 in which the five wickets were taken without a run conceded from his last 31 deliveries of an eight-over spell. Good bowling never let the S&H batsmen settle with Arun Kalwani taking 3-20 before Scorah’s explosive entry into the attack.

Earlier, Cave’s batsmen had made a slow start against Jamie Kerrison (4-20) and Tom Williams (3-19) before Anuj Bahl (45), Mark Ash (23) and Sam Coulson (41) enabled them to post 151.

It was a day to forget for Ovington as Mark Earle ran riot for Westow.

At one point Ovington were 1-3, then 32-8 as Earle picked up 5-14. Youngster Jack Walmsley managed 16 not out as Ovington were bowled out for 64. Westow romped home by nine wickets thanks to Earle (23no) and Jacob Stephenson (30no).

Hirst Courtney opener Ben Copeland scored 81 in his side’s 140 all out against Burn, whose Scott Hunt (4-19) bowled with pace and venom to rip out the middle order.

Harry Cruise led Burn’s successful run chase with an unbeaten 69, figuring in an unbroken third-wicket partnership of 54 with Tom Battye (29no).

Brilliant bowling by youngster Henry Sumner swept Pocklington into the second round of the Scothern Construction Cup at the expense of Clifton Alliance II.

Spinner Sumner was at the heart of the action with 6-12 as Clifton were routed for 46. Pock knocked off the runs for the loss of two wickets, Alex Ashby scoring 34 not out.

Hemingbrough beat Stamford Bridge II by 70 runs. Steve Watson (55) and John Cockerill (39) were the main contributors to Brough’s 211-8. Bridge responded with 141 all out, Granville North taking 4-17.

Press Performance of the Week: Young spinner Henry Sumner wrecked Clifton Alliance II with 6-12 in the Scothern Construction Cup first round