HEWORTH suffered their first Foss Evening Cricket League defeat in nearly two years at the hands of Bubwith.

Early wickets were the key for Bubwith as Heworth struggled to 93-9 in their division one game.

James Knibb (4-19) and a superb spell of swing bowling from Simon Houlder (4-12) soon had Heworth in trouble, and Freddie Collins (50) later hit threes sixes to power Bubwith towards their target with four overs in hand.

Promoted York suffered a nine-wicket thumping against Dunnington Academy.

York made a decent start with opener Bevan Fawcett (37) making progress but their 119-5 was below par. Academy openers Andrew Wilson and Harrison Mussell hit a flurry of sixes to quickly eating into the target.

Wilson eventually fell to Tom Forsdike for a 32-ball 53 which included six maximums. Mussell, who struck an unbeaten 45 from 34 deliveries, finished the job.

Osbaldwick beat Yapham by four wickets with two balls to spare.

Jack Holman (55no) pushed Yapham to 104-3. Osbaldwick were 37-0 from four overs but lost a couple of wickets in quick succession before Matt Hattee (37) left Osso needing a run a ball in the last five overs, youngster Charlie Jebson-King’s quickfire 15 proving important in the victory push.

Wellington, formerly known as Retreat, lost to Woodhouse Grange by eight runs.

Grange openers Matt Ainley and Dan Durkin played some great shots on their way to 50 and 25 respectively. Jonty Goddard made an undefeated 26 from 11 balls as Grange posted 138-5.

Salman Syed was the main threat to Grange’s total, scoring 59 before being caught behind on the penultimate ball as Wellington fell just short.

Afghan bowler Naveed Hashmi made an instant impact on his debut as Aviva Vikings beat Tang Hall Tigers.

He maintained a stranglehold on the top order with a spell of 4-1-3-0 as Tigers were restricted to 81-7.

Young leg-spinner Umer Farooq (4-0-18-3) and veteran all-rounder Abid Hussain (3-0-13-3), whose wickets came in the last over of the innings, kept the visitors in check, despite the best efforts of Stephan Clarke (36).

Solid all-round batting saw Aviva home with six overs to spare.

Two young sides fought out a thriller at Woodhouse Grange where Dunnington Colts won by two runs.

Sharp fielding and a crucial run-out restricted Dunnington Colts to 76-7 with Harry Claxton (32no) top scoring.

In reply, Josh Matthews made 31 but tight bowling from Jordan Richardson and Max Wilson left Grange needing 10 off the last over which proved too much.

Thixendale, batting first against Heworth Colts in division three, made 130-9 with captain Alex Machen scoring 56. Ollie Batt took 4-22 and Ryan Whitley 2-12 from four overs.

Heworth seemed to be cruising to victory with opener Dan Davison hitting 48 but Ben Jackson (3-21) edged the game Thixendale’s way by a two-run margin.

An inexperienced Heslington Centurions were well beaten at home by Pocklington who rattled up 150-1, openers Ted Donkin and Ben Shingles both retiring after reaching half-centuries.

In reply, only Ian Clish (38) and captain Richard Wells (19no) got into double figures. Alex Downey (3-23) was the pick of the away team’s bowlers.

Chris Walker (42) stood out as Stillingfleet struggled to 84-6 at Westow. Despite losing frequent wickets, Westow were always scoring quickly enough to win by five wickets with 17 balls to spare in torrential rain, Ali Fothergill peppering the boundary early on.

Stockton & Hopgrove started well at Londesborough Park in division four, Giles Smith hitting a quick 35 which included three huge sixes.

Stockton closed on 116-7 from 16 overs. Londesborough set off well but Stockton kept chipping away with wickets and the home side needed eight an over off the last four overs in fading light, Stockton winning by 17 runs.