PLAYER-BOSS Jack Stearman lambasted a "garbage" opening quarter but praised his New Earswick All Blacks ARLC team for fighting back so admirably in their latest Yorkshire Men's League match.

All Blacks fell 22-0 down early on and were 26-6 behind at half-time of their game at premier division table-toppers East Hull 'A'.

They twice battled back to within one score of victory before the hosts sealed a 38-30 success with a try on the last play of the game - the result maintaining the Humbersiders' 100 per cent record and leaving the York outfit bottom of the table, still without a win in four outings.

Stearman said: "It's the same story - we're still getting used to premier division rugby. You can't give any team a 22-0 head start and expect to win.

"For the last hour, credit to our lads for digging in, giving it a good go and nearly nicking it.

"The first half-hour was garbage. We said before the game we needed to go out firing but they scored three tries in their first five sets. It was just not good enough but hopefully we will learn from it and put in an 80-minute performance next week."

Asked if victory was close during the second half comeback, Stearman - his team's man of the match - said: "We were on the front foot a couple of times but a couple of calls went against us.

"Jack Carling got harshly sin-binned at a pivotal time in the second half and that was when they scored their (penultimate) try to get away from us a little bit."

After their opening three-try salvo, East Hull added a fourth touchdown before Ben Stoker pulled one back, Tom Barron converting. The hosts scored again before the break to make it 26-6.

New Earswick's fightback began with a try in the second set of the second half, interchange hooker Danny Byworth the scorer, and then impressive second-row George Hunt went in from 40 metres.

Barron got the next try and added the extras to all three to pull All Blacks back to 26-24.

East Hull upped their lead to 32-24 while the visitors were down to 12 men but Joe Hudson hit back, Barron converting, to make it 32-30. It was game on again but East Hull secured victory at the death.

Meanwhile, York Acorn 'A's poor start to the YML division one season continued with a 54-6 defeat at Allerton Bywater, whereas Heworth were unable to maintain their good form as scheduled opponents Hunslet Club Parkside 'A' called their game off due to call-ups to their first team.

York Lokomotive got their division three season off to a fine start with a 30-6 victory at Birstall Victoria.

The try-scorers for Lokos were Ricky James, Scott Porteous, Tom Gargan, George Hampshire and Fatayi Okateti, with James adding all five goals.

Sherburn Bears had tries from Adam Priestley, Bryn Watson and Lewis Booth, plus two goals from Martin Leahy, but they lost 32-16 at home to Wyke in division four, Tevin Campbell getting a hat-trick for the visitors.

New Earswick Academy saw off Wyke Academy in division five, with man-of-the-match Alex Williams (2), Angus Carrick (2), Adam Kirby and Harrison Todd scoring tries, and Todd adding all six conversions.