HEAD coach James Ford may have denied it in the build-up but this game was always going to be a chance for York City Knights to boost their points-difference.

Nobody, however, could have predicted just how they would take that chance - smashing records left, right and centre in almost farcical circumstances, as they sent a woeful West Wales Raiders packing with a 144-0 walloping.

Not only was it a York RL record win, beating the 132-0 Challenge Cup victory over Northumbria University in 2011, but it was a British and world rugby league record for both points scored and winning margin – beating Huddersfield’s 142-4 thrashing of Blackpool Gladiators and Barrow’s 138-0 pasting of Nottingham City, both set in the Regal Trophy in 1994.

Kieren Moss’ seven tries also beat Jonny Presley’s Knights record of six in a match set in that Northumbria game, and equalled the all-time York RL record set by fellow Aussie Brad Davis against Highfield in 1995.

Oh, and the Knights went top of Betfred League One too, on points-difference.

This was more than a mismatch. Even the men-versus-boys cliché doesn’t do it justice – some of the local community club youngsters in the crowd could probably have made a better fist of it than this hapless lot.

Indeed it was so evidently one-sided that statisticians were scrambling around to check the record books barely a quarter of the way through.

Ironically, there had been fears this fixture – against currently the worst side in pro rugby league, who had shipped 288 points in their four league games to date - could have been a case of “after the Lord Mayor’s show”, following York's headline-grabbing performance against Catalans Dragons in the cup last week.

Instead, the Knights kept themselves very much in the spotlight.

Ford had made five changes to the side that did so well that day. Then again, he could probably have made 17, including fielding the cameraman, cleaner, groundsman and bar lady, and still won at an embarrassing canter.

Veterans Tim Spears, Andy Ellis, Sam Scott and Ben Cockayne were rested but player/assistant-coach Graeme Horne was back from injury to add his experience to the pack. Not that he would have had past experience of how easy this would be.

Mike Kelly and hookers Aaron Smith and Will Jubb were also back.

The starting back line was the same, although Jake Normington, a replacement centre last week, was left out after a recent run in the 17.

A notable inclusion was local lad Liam Jackson at scrum-half, having been recalled from dual-reg at community club Heworth. It was he who got the scoreboard ticking inside a minute.

West Wales chucked in no fewer than six new signings – but if they improved the team, God knows how bad they were previously.

The Knights were ahead after just 57 seconds, the try straight away displaying how wretched the visitors were.

They erred under the kick-off then from the scrum gave the Knights a huge overlap which wasn’t even needed as Jackson touched down.

York made a couple of early errors themselves but didn’t have to do much to get their next try, Connor Robinson’s inside ball putting Moss through for his first.

Rounding full-back Ward was far too easy, probably even for Moss’s liking.

Then Robinson – who had missed both conversions - dummied through to touch down under the sticks and give himself a goal he couldn’t miss. He ended with 14 conversions from 17.

Immediately, Moss and Ash Robson combined to send Brad Hey racing home, the ragtag opponents looking like little lost orphans out of a Charles Dickens book.

Porter crashed through, not unlike he had done twice in the Catalans tie, and, after a bulldozing run from stand-in skipper Adam Robinson, a simple move put Robson in the corner.

The try-a-set scoring probably should have continued as Moss took a wonderful catch under a Jackson kick and fed Hey but the centre was tackled.

A penalty took West Wales down the other end – but not for long as in York’s next set Joe Batchelor gave Connor Robinson his second touchdown.

The try celebration music – the overtly cheery bit from The Pogues’ Fiesta – was already getting irritating.

Ford brought on all four replacements at once but there was little change in scoring rate as Robson and Hey showcased skills to put Moss in and then Batchelor stepped home.

When Ronan Dixon brushed off weak tackles, the half-century was up after just 33 minutes.

Horne was next to score, then Robinson put Batchelor in – only for comedy boos to ring round as this score was ruled out for a forward pass.

Referee Brandon Robinson even more kindly gave the Raiders three consecutive penalties in the run-up to half-time, and brief respite for the Knights' attack.

Nonetheless, the try-scoring continued 78 seconds into the second half as a sweeping move saw Aussies Moss and Butler-Fleming send Judah Mazive sprinting home.

Then JBF and Mazive were at it again, Moss the recipient but generously handing the try to Horne.

Soon enough Moss scored himself, thanks to JBF’s nifty hands, then Robinson put Horne in for his hat-trick.

Moss’s fourth and fifth tries followed, the tackles laughable. By this point even the scoreboard had given up.

Mazive fluffed a great chance before Smith brought up the century after just 58 minutes.

Kelly got over then sent Moss in again for his Presley-equalling sixth.

The biggest cheer was saved for wrecking ball Adam Robinson’s try, before Smith got his second and Moss embarrassed the defence again for his seventh.

Robson had by now taken over the goalkicking – he finished with eight from eight - and his touchline conversion equalled the 132-0 club record scoreline with six minutes left.

Then Dixon crashed through, and there was still time for Robson to set a brand new mark for the sport as a whole as he sprinted home.