Evo-Stik Division One North: Tadcaster Albion 0 Atherton Collieries

TADCASTER Albion extended their unbeaten run to eight matches and stayed in the Evo-Stik Division One play-off places after a goalless home draw with Atherton Collieries.

In a chance-starved affair, Atherton's Jordan Cover had the best moment of the afternoon skewing wide when running clean through on goal.

At the other end, former Albion stopper Greg Hartley pulled off an outstanding save to somehow claw Chris Howarth's header out from the top corner.

The Brewers were left deflated but credit to Collieries, who defended well to take their unbeaten run to nine matches.

Despite the torrential overnight rain, the match was given the green light just after 11am and, unsurprisingly, Taddy named the same side for a fifth-successive outing.

In a lively start, Casey Stewart went close for Albion after seven minutes when he cleverly flicked the ball inside a defender but struck it narrowly wide.

Four minutes later, came Cover's opportunity, but he dragged his shot wide.

The visitors were exploiting the space behind the Brewers' back-line as, less than 60 seconds later, Cover squandered another good chance, again pulling his effort wide.

Billy Whitehouse was looking as dangerous as ever when receiving the ball at his feet and taking on the full back, and his deep cross eventually dropped to Pete Davidson, whose sliding shot was well blocked.

Colls were certainly the brighter in the opening stages as a rapid counter-attack culminated with Michael Ingham having to adjust sharply to claim Vincent Bailey's chip.

After a positive start by the Lancastrians, Taddy battled back and came incredibly close to opening the scoring on the half-hour.

Stewart's lofted ball into the box was met by a looping header from Howarth, which looked destined for the top corner but Hartley flung himself high to his left to somehow claw the ball away in what was a brilliant save.

Hartley was enjoying a solid afternoon against his former side and was called into action again five minutes later to push Whitehouse's powerful free-kick clear.

Michael Morton's side were much improved in the second half of the first 45 as another half-chance went begging, with Fraser Papprill flicking the ball wide from a Whitehouse corner.

The watching Taddy fans were hoping for an explosive start to the second half, just like in Tuesday night 2-1 home win over Colwyn Bay, but it wasn't quite the case.

They did start with a slightly higher tempo, however, but Hartley was inspired in the Colls goal.

Stewart showcased just how quick he is to turn on the turbo to somehow keep a ball in play and pull it back into the box, with both Aiden Savory and Hartley launching themselves, but the keeper retrieved the ball at the second attempt.

The second half brought up even less noteworthy moments than the first as Ben Hardcastle's strike was food and drink for Ingham.

You got the feeling that both sides were never going to score as defences were on top and creativity was lacking in the final third,and the contest was wrapped up when Whitehouse jinked inside and fired comfortably wide.