YORK City defeated National League North leaders Salford City 1-0 to pick up their first win in four matches.

Aidan Connolly’s fifth goal of the season wrapped up maximum points for the Minstermen, who also kept only their second clean sheet since September 9.

Salford made an assured start to the match, although Nick Haughton should have done better on seven minutes when he gently chipped into Adam Bartlett’s arms from 20 yards after a weak Adriano Moke clearance.

Moments later, Jonny Burn also failed to clear his lines effectively, but Bartlett was equal to Lois Maynard’s edge-of-the-box, half-volley.

Tom Walker went on to hit the outside of the City keeper’s near post, having burst through the right channel unopposed after exchanging passes with Ibou Touray.

Salford’s new signing Nathan Arnold, meanwhile, missed the best chance of the opening exchanges when he glanced a free header wide in front of goal after meeting Touray’s cross.

The hosts’ first goal attempt came on 16 minutes when Connolly flashed a 30-yard drive wide following Parkin’s lay-off.

But, at the other end, Bartlett had to be alert following loose play by Simon Heslop, charging out of his goal to smother Jack Redshaw’s shot close to the edge of his penalty area.

Maynard went on to lift a 15-yard attempt over with City’s defence stretched, before the home side forged in front on 27 minutes.

Reaching the byline after raiding down the left, Moke pulled the ball back for a supporting Connolly.

The Scotsman then floated the ball, from just inside the touchline, over Max Crocombe’s head before it ricocheted over the line off the unwitting away keeper.

Shortly afterwards, two Salford efforts – the second a low drive by Maynard – were kicked off the line during a scramble following a corner.

City, though, responded well with Connor Brown’s looping edge-of-the-box header caught by Crocombe, while Parkin was wide with an overhead attempt.

More good play by Moke through the left channel then led to a first-time, ten-yard strike by Parkin that was kept out by Crocombe’s right leg.

The half ended after Liam Hogan’s downward header from a Haughton free kick was routinely gathered by Bartlett.

After the break, Heslop volleyed into the away end from 20 yards, while Michael Nottingham sidefooted wide from a Walker left-wing cross for the Lancastrians.

A great City chance went begging on 57 minutes after Moke curled too wide after being sent clear through the left channel by Connolly.

Crocombe also did well to hold a well-struck Parkin free kick, before the City talisman failed to double the advantage from 12 yards.

After combining down the left with Moke, Connolly found Parkin at the far post with a cross, only for the veteran marksman to be nudged off balance by Walker.

Referee Paul Brown pointed to the spot, but Parkin smacked his effort against the crossbar.

Undeterred, City continued to attack and, after Piergianni’s downward header was collected by Bartlett, Connolly broke forward and forced Crocombe into a near-post save, with Hamza Bencherif hooking wide from the resulting corner.

Salford were still struggling to get back into the game with Gus Mafuta hitting the Longhurst roof from 25 yards and Walker failing to extend Bartlett at his near post.

Important late blocks by sub Dan Parslow, David Ferguson and Sean Newton went on to safeguard all three points.

Bartlett also made two excellent punches under pressure from leaping opposite number Crocombe at corners.