YORK Schoolboys Under-12s footballers booked their place in the final of the Michael Dale Trophy with a 3-0 triumph at Sheffield.

This followed last week's 5-1 rout of Leeds in the last eight.

The opening stages against the south Yorkshire side were cagey, with both sides sizing each other up, but the match came to life with the first chance when a good Sheffield passing move ended with a shot from the right-hand edge of the area which was well saved by keeper Henry Jackson.

A couple of minutes later, Ben Myers had York's first sight of goal, with a shot from 25 yards after a break down the left. From the same distance a couple of minutes later, Myers curled a shot towards the top corner which was kept out by a diving Sheffield keeper.

York took the lead after 25 minutes with a ruthless counter attack which saw the ball break to Dan Gallagher 40 yards out. He played it down the inside right channel into the path of Ronnie Kelly who flicked it into the box for Liam Mainprize to sweep home.

Sheffield nearly responded immediately when a shot from a left-wing cross struck a post.

However, York went back down the other end and Kelly was brought down in the box as he ran along the dead-ball line. Man-of-the-match Paul Iggulden confidently dispatched the spot kick.

Sheffield refused to give in and kept looking for a goal to get them back in the game, but the visiting defence held strong. With 10 minutes remaining, Kelly got the goal that sealed the game with a sweet free kick strike from 20 yards.

York U13s were knocked out of the second round of the Yorkshire Cup by a late goal in a 3-2 defeat at Wakefield.

It was very much a game of two halves as York opened the match brightly, with Kieran Clayton and Tom Algar testing the keeper from range before making the breakthrough when Cole Gayles superbly volleyed into the top left corner from Matthew Dawes' cross.

York appeared to become complacent after the restart, and Wakefield's centre-forward began to dictate play. The pressure built and was eventually relieved midway through the half when the hosts levelled matters with a goal from close range.

Buoyed, Wakey continued to push, now pouring forward at will, and soon went ahead with a superb solo goal from their main man.

This spurred York into action and they managed to get a foothold in the game again, with midfield play being dictated by Nathan Heaton and Ellis Cattaneo, the latter creating York's equaliser with a through ball for Cahill to take a touch and curl in.

With extra time looming, the tie took a final turn as Wakefield's front man was given too much space on the edge of the area and obligingly thumped in his hat-trick goal.

York U11s were beaten 2-1 at home to Sheffield after Arthur Jefferson-Hallet had given them the lead on 15 minutes, reacting fastest to the rebound after Adrian Bajaziti's effort was saved.

Keeper Jack Yates made a good save shortly after to preserve York's lead, but the visitors got their deserved leveller before half-time, firing home after the ball broke from Kiam Browne's sliding challenge.

Sheffield's momentum continued to build and they got a second goal on 35 minutes. With 10 minutes remaining, York had a goal disallowed for offside, but otherwise could not find a way past the impressive visiting defence.

Will Hobson was York's man of the match.