YORK City moved back into the National League North play-off positions following a 2-1 home victory over Bradford Park Avenue.

Jon Parkin’s 25th goal of the season and a second-half effort from sub Amari Morgan-Smith earned the Minstermen a fourth straight victory despite Adam Boyes' stoppage-time reply and saw the hosts leapfrog their opponents into the top seven.

Earlier, City skipper Sean Newton had the first shot of the match, with his chipped sixth-minute attempt from the edge of the box pushed over by Avenue keeper Stephen Drench after probing from Aidan Connolly.

Parkin couldn’t then direct Newton’s corner on target at the far post, while Adriano Moke brushed the sidenetting from just outside the penalty area after Connolly’s left-wing cross.

Following a poor Jonny Burn clearance, Wayne Brooksby curled the visitors’ first effort of the afternoon straight at Adam Bartlett on 19 minutes.

Growing in confidence, Bradford went on to see Nicky Clee drag a 25-yard chance wide, while left-back Matt Hill’s long-range drive was deflected off target after an unwise throw-in by Josh Law had put Hamza Bencherif under unnecessary pressure from ex-City striker Boyes.

Centre-back Shane Killock, meanwhile, headed over from a Clee corner and, after Connolly’s drive was safely gathered by Drench, Bartlett was relieved to have David Ferguson on hand to clear the danger having spilled Jamie Spencer’s low 15-yard shot following an Oli Johnson through ball.

Johnson’s looping header also bounced off the top of the bar, before Parkin opened the scoring on 41 minutes.

The 36-year-old veteran’s charge through the left channel was spotted by Connolly as he collected a dropping ball in the penalty box and his left-footed finish beat Drench at his near post from eight yards.

Bradford started the second half positively with Spencer’s 25-yard half volley flashing over after a poor touch in his own half by Newton, but home boss Martin Gray responded with a change intended to enhance his side’s attacking impetus, with Morgan-Smith introduced for Daniel Rowe on 52 minutes.

Moments later, Law’s firmly-struck drive from distance was gathered at the second attempt by Drench and Morgan-Smith then flashed a free ten-yard shot on goal wide with his left foot after his intial attempt was blocked.

But Morgan-Smith displayed great tenacity to double his team’s lead on 65 minutes, getting on the end of a cross from the left touchline by Newton and netting from a matter of inches.

Bradford refused to buckle with Brooksby’s low 15-yard drive well held by Bartlett, who went on to brilliantly claw away a Boyes header, before Johnson hit the outside of his post with a scuffed follow-up effort.

The hosts were not prepared to sit back on the lead, though, with Newton going close with a deflected drive, while Parkin and Bencherif also missed the target from headers and Connolly fired narrowly over from 30 yards.

Morgan-Smith, meanwhile, dragged wide after more good work by Connolly and the game was given an anxious finale for home supporters when a defensive mix up allowed Johnson to break through the left channel and cross for an unmarked Boyes to tap in at the far post in the second minute of stoppage time.

Moments later, Killock headed over from a corner, but City held on to make it 12 points out of 12.