CITY of York Men IV came from two goals behind to earn a 2-2 draw at near-neighbours Acomb in Yorkshire Hockey League division two - surviving a manic end to the contest in the process.

City beat the Tangerines 3-2 back in November, but had to survive a late spell while two men down this time to prevent their cross-city neighbours exacting revenge.

The visitors started on the front foot here, holding onto possession well and stringing good periods of passing together, but they could not find their way past Stuart Baxter's well-marshalled defence in front of keeper Craig Brown.

Acomb came more into the game as Karl Brindley and Dave Richardson began to link up, and they drew first blood after 20 minutes, when James Tindall’s ball into the ‘D’ from the right was deflected home.

Who got the final touch is disputed - either City’s James Walker or Acomb’s Nick Linfoot.

On the stroke of half-time, Tindall doubled the advantage as he finished off a quick counter-attack down the right wing, stroking home from Pete Hilton’s powerful ball into the ‘D’.

City went into the second period looking to get themselves back into the game, and within minutes of the restart, Will Broadbent converted a short corner with a well-finished flick.

The visitors pushed for the equaliser, and got their reward through David Catterall's effort, hitting the backboard at the third time of asking.

In the frantic closing stages, City's Sam Nicholson was yellow-carded for a heavy challenge and Joe Starks was sin-binned for dissent as he sat on the bench, meaning captain William Neal had to leave the pitch for five minutes in his stead.

Acomb failed to capitalise despite the two-man advantage, and, with a full complement of players back on the pitch, City found themselves with opportunities to win the game, but Tuckett was unable to produce the final pass when free of the defence, while Broadbent’s deflected effort went just wide.

City’s man-of-the-match David Barraclough had the final touch of the game, taking the ball away from an advancing forward on the counter.

Neither City of York I nor X had a game, while City of York II had their fixture at Sheffield University Bankers called off.

City of York III sit third-bottom in Yorkshire League division one after a 4-3 home loss to Slazengers.

A disjointed City of York V performance ended in 3-2 defeat at Worksop in division three.

Ben Foster and Alex Herriot had both equalised for City before the hosts netted the winner on the break 10 minutes from time.

City of York VI fell 3-1 at Mirfield II in division four north. City put out a strong team but conceded early from a harshly-awarded short corner, and the deficit was doubled from another such set piece.

Rob Barker pulled one back from the top of the ‘D’, before the hosts secured the game with a strike following a series of deflections.

In the same division, City of York VII beat Boston Spa 4-3.

Visitors Boston took the lead through a Mal Cossey own goal, but Philip Cook levelled matters going into half-time.

Two Graham Mackfall goals after the interval were cancelled out before Andy Richardson got the winner.

City of York VIII lost 9-1 at home to division five north leaders Bingley Bees, Ali Birch deflecting home City's only goal.