ACOMB Men II ran out 7-2 winners as they welcomed Yorkshire Hockey League division five north basement side Scarborough II - with captain Johnny Brown netting five of the goals.

The visitors came close to scoring from the opening whistle, but were thwarted as the Tangerines’ defence did enough to prevent a one-on-one with keeper Richard Crossland.

Acomb rallied, and quickly found themselves a goal to the good through Anthony Daley, who fired just to the side of the visiting shot-stopper.

Skipper Brown extended Acomb’s lead three minutes later, but Scarborough were undeterred and continued to pile on the pressure, although their numerous efforts on goal were repelled by Crossland.

Minutes from the break, man-of-the-match Brown converted a penalty corner before completing his hat-trick to give the Tangerines a healthy lead at half-time.

Brown continued after the restart as he had left off, sending his effort from another penalty corner straight into a bottom corner.

The persistent visitors were eventually rewarded for their play when they broke free and scored with a deflection over Crossland.

However, Acomb were not finished scoring, and two more goals followed. First, Daley capped off a neat solo run by nutmegging the keeper, before Brown bagged his fifth.

Scarborough’s second consolation goal was the last of the game, despite the best efforts of both sides.

Acomb I were held to a 2-2 home draw by City of York IV in division two, having led 2-0 as they sought revenge for defeat earlier in the season. For more details, see the City of York report.

Acomb Ladies opened the second half of their season with a 3-3 draw at Hull II in Yorkshire Women's League division one - thanks to a hat-trick from Kerry Woods.

The home side started well against the weakened Tangerines outfit, but their chances were contained by the defensive clearing of Wendy Watson and Jane Elsworth.

Georgi Wood was the catalyst for much of Acomb’s attacking in the end-to-end game through her tireless running in midfield.

With 15 minutes remaining in the first period, Woods gave Acomb the lead after being found by Jess Slater, but the hosts were level not long after following a poor clearance by keeper Sam Storr.

On the stroke of half-time, Hull took the lead from a penalty corner, and extended their lead just after the restart with another.

The Tangerines pressed forward, and Hannah Yoward’s clever pass in the circle found Woods to finish.

Within four minutes, the contest was level again, as Woods squeezed past two defenders and slotted her third goal beyond the prone keeper.

Acomb Ladies’ revised match at Pocklington on Sunday was called off as a result of bad weather.